Wheels and tank

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just thought I would show some pics of my tank and wheels which I have just got back. Yes yes I know they were never lined wheels but these are my wheels and I like the paint. Thanks to Lightfoot Eng for lacing up and Mick Guilfoyle for painting.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Oops

Attachments

• 5E33D14A-5B8B-4FD5-A87B-8F7B06A65FB0.jpeg
    5E33D14A-5B8B-4FD5-A87B-8F7B06A65FB0.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 66
  • BAE3C118-DEAF-4B0C-98A0-59D87A08F13A.jpeg
    BAE3C118-DEAF-4B0C-98A0-59D87A08F13A.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 89EA1015-4D5B-497F-B59C-AA016B786E19.jpeg
    89EA1015-4D5B-497F-B59C-AA016B786E19.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 934E7B78-40C2-4A7F-BA59-540C05643685.jpeg
    934E7B78-40C2-4A7F-BA59-540C05643685.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 53D5514B-11C1-46B4-924F-87631705FF00.jpeg
    53D5514B-11C1-46B4-924F-87631705FF00.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 55253DAB-F20C-4952-95D4-EAC7E72587F5.jpeg
    55253DAB-F20C-4952-95D4-EAC7E72587F5.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 75

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Lovely looking job, I'm in the process of doing my "A" Comet wanting that colour too, what's the location of Mick Guilfoyle or phone number, please PM me.
Bananaman email on page 1 of MPH

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Lovely looking job, I'm in the process of doing my "A" Comet wanting that colour too, what's the location of Mick Guilfoyle or phone number, please PM me.
Bananaman email on page 1 of MPH
Marcus
Postage won't be cheap to send your tank for painting as Andy B is in Australia so Mick Gyilfoyle probably is as well.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Thank you Simon for considering that, I have an admin book, I'm very lax in using it but then Andy B could be any country. "Nom de plumes" !!!!!???

Last edited by a moderator:

John Reynolds

VOC Member
Hi Andy

I was interested to see your photos as I am currently restoring a Series A Rap and you may be aware that, just couple of weeks ago, I posted a query regarding the dimensions of the painted side panels on Series A tanks. The replies were well meaning but the gist was 'they are all different', which was not particularly helpful and, to date, no one has been prepared to measure their tank and post the dimensions.

As you no doubt researched the issue in great detail, could I ask that you share with me the dimensions of the painted panel. Just the height and length of the panel and its distance from the front of the tank and also the width of the gold lines, please.

I also note that you have decided to apply only a single gold line at the edge of the painted top of the tank. Most of the tanks which I have seen have two gold lines here, one either side of the beading. I would be interested to know what influenced your decision to only apply a single line.

Many thanks.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Just thought I would show some pics of my tank and wheels which I have just got back. Yes yes I know they were never lined wheels but these are my wheels and I like the paint. Thanks to Lightfoot Eng for lacing up and Mick Guilfoyle for painting.
Your bike, your tank and wheels have them as you want them. They look excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bike.
Steven

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Hi Andy

I was interested to see your photos as I am currently restoring a Series A Rap and you may be aware that, just couple of weeks ago, I posted a query regarding the dimensions of the painted side panels on Series A tanks. The replies were well meaning but the gist was 'they are all different', which was not particularly helpful and, to date, no one has been prepared to measure their tank and post the dimensions.

As you no doubt researched the issue in great detail, could I ask that you share with me the dimensions of the painted panel. Just the height and length of the panel and its distance from the front of the tank and also the width of the gold lines, please.

I also note that you have decided to apply only a single gold line at the edge of the painted top of the tank. Most of the tanks which I have seen have two gold lines here, one either side of the beading. I would be interested to know what influenced your decision to only apply a single line.

Many thanks.
No worries John, I didn't reply to your post because I felt I could not really add any decent advice, there are I believe, too many experts and at the end of the day I have seen so many different tanks that I thought I would just choose what I liked out of all of them. My tank is a single, yours is a twin, I presume, so size is different. I made sure that the pinstripes where suitable for that period, some tanks have them too thick, my painter has painted numourous tanks so has experience with how and what they did in the day so he gave me some good advice, he has also painted some Ariel tanks for me which are very alike to the Vincent ( I will post a picture of my 37 Ariel tank. My Vincent is 37 also. Later tonight I will post some dimensions for you but again different tank. Also I care not for all the folk that insist on absolute originality, what does that even mean, you could order anything back in the day, my bike had a Terry's seat and a 120 mph speedo, a polished side tank and yet it is a Meteor. Everyone will tell you it had a Dunlop seat and 80 mile speedo and painted tank all over, black!! Bullshit. PS not trying to upset all you originalists, there's room for all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 43