Wheelbuilders.

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Essex Wheels is Derek York ex TT sidecar Racer he is now 80 years old and his nephew is taking on the wheel building. Derek still builds some wheels and gives demos and talks at club meetings in Essex . He it based in Sibble Hedingham in North Essex. He is a harmonica champion and runs an open mike music night in hedingham snooker club.

johncrispin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
wheelbuilder

Mark,
As you are up the smoke give Stu Towner a ring (see MPH ads) and he will be able to put you in touch with Roger Dunster an excellent wheelbuilder. He will advise you on spokes etc all obtainable from all the usual outlets.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Mark,
As you are up the smoke give Stu Towner a ring (see MPH ads) and he will be able to put you in touch with Roger Dunster an excellent wheelbuilder. He will advise you on spokes etc all obtainable from all the usual outlets.

Thanks for the info. I sent the wheels away to Devin Rim Co. Expensive but I think the quality is excellent. Opted out of painting the centre of the rim black / red pinstriping as the bike will be for the road.

Chris.R

VOC Member
I have had my Dunlop rims chromed by Collins at Wrythe Green Surrey allegedly triple chromed, the job I feel could have been done better but I have only this one experience of chroming to go by, They did not blast the centres for painting should they have done? they said to mask and acid etch the centres and that they could then be painted, the one wheel chrome is uneven in the centre I am told that polishing could not remove the all the corrosion bubbles. Where the lip has been chromed not right down to the inside of the rim there is some rust not dealt with by the processes. I guess I can remove the rusting by sanding it down and using a Jenolite type rust neutralising treatment and then painting on a galvanizing or Zinc solution.

I am struggling to find anyone who will paint wheel rims and do not feel confident or have the knowledge to have a go myself. Having a go might not give a good result. I have left messages for alleged wheel painters on several voice mails and sent emails all of which have gone unanswered.

I need all the advice I can get
Chris

greg brillus

VOC Member
My painter generally masks off the outer part of the chrome rim and lightly sand blasts the center hump where the spokes go. Prime and paint follows, then the red pinstripe is done by hand last. Using a red adhesive pinstripe will usually fall off after some time, a hand painted line lasts better and looks more correct down to the minor defects in the line width.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I spoke to somebody just last week, he said that Central Wheels did and excellent job on his Sons Black Shadow wheels, black centre with red pin stripes, worth a try maybe.

vibrac

VOC Member
I spoke to somebody just last week, he said that Central Wheels did and excellent job on his Sons Black Shadow wheels, black centre with red pin stripes, worth a try maybe.
Yep I do favor the little guy and CW do charge but they do a good job and I suppose thats what matters

Chris.R

VOC Member
I had an offer this morning at he said around £260 is that reasonable. My contact with Central said they would only paint new rims that they supplied.

Chris.R

VOC Member
My painter generally masks off the outer part of the chrome rim and lightly sand blasts the center hump where the spokes go. Prime and paint follows, then the red pinstripe is done by hand last. Using a red adhesive pinstripe will usually fall off after some time, a hand painted line lasts better and looks more correct down to the minor defects in the line width.

If a job is worth doing it should be done well and that means hand painting the whole job as I am using original Dunlop rims that is what she deserves.