Wheelbuilders.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Could anyone recommend decent wheelbuilders? I'm planning on S/S rims / S/S spokes and nickel plated brass nipples. I wasn't going to bother with painting / lining the rim.

A mate of mine had wheels done at Hagons recently and the finished product was shocking. The paint on the hubs was flaking off. Also I had an issue with Central Wheel 3-4 years back so I wouldn't consider them.

Mark.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Its not on your doorstep but I have had good service from the wheel builder in Cowfold in Sussex. I do not have his details just now but could get them in the next couple of days if you need them.

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
Robin Cowling of Suffolk Wheels

... in Ipswich, 01473 745380, has always done an excellent job for me and for others that I have come across.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
wheelbuilders

Essex wheels Did my rapide wheels several years ago. still look o.k. They advertise in old bike mart. Also Alan Foster fron Clacton has done this all his life[ ex Greeves]. Hope this helps. Roy.:)

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Essex Wheels

I must agree with Roy about Derek York and his Nephew at Essex wheels.

They are very helpfully, and very fastidiuos about the quality of their work:D

Neil

They have done 3 Nortons, 1 Vincent and an early Raleigh with beaded edge rims

bthalken

Forum User
VOC Member
I'm also about order rims, spokes, etc. and I've heard good things about Devon.

But before I order them I have a question. My bike is a red Rapide, I've heard that the correct rim paint color for this model is red with gold lining in traditional layout... does anyone care to either substantiate this or tell me that it's whack?

Thanks,

Brian

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I thought they had plain chrome rims with no painted centres as per picture in 'Vincent' by Duncan Wherrett. Big Sid should know. He unpacked one from it's crate.

rapcom

VOC Member
Recommended Wheelbuilder

Recommended by me, anyway, and used by the veteran and vintage car people as well as classic bike riders.
Wheelwise Engineering, Cowfold.
Tel 01403 864533
I live not far away, and will happily collect and deliver for those who can't get to Cowfold in working hours.