Wheel rebuilding

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone, will be getting wheels on my 48 Rapide rebuilt and dismantling myself to have rims chromed & painted, my question is and it appears there is no off set on front & rear wheels with rims central to hubs. Can some one please advise ..Thanks Bill

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
you are right Bill, they are just central, no offset.
In case you are using new s/s spokes, please check carefully about the spoke catching another spokes head near the centre with 4 cross pattern. A-HRD had a good thread in here explaining everything and also supplies shims to prevent new spokes heads touching the brakedrums before the drum is finally secured.
I had to rectify both faults on my shadow wheels, so thank you very much Peter (A-HRD) for your hints and tips.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Dear Black Flash and Ray Bear,

Thank You for the Thanks. If anyone else is interested, I wrote an article for MPH on the subject too - I think it was Oct 2007. But I can't be sure - busy playing with Vincents in Florida..... :)

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Central wheels are good
I walked in one day with a vincent hub to build my trials sidecar wheel on
From 10 yards away from inside the workshop came the voice "Vincent wheel- 20",19" or 18? rim?" (obviously a man with knowledge)
No No I said "16""
"16!!"
"Yeah" I said smiling, "I,m building a Vincent chopper!"
No further coments are recordable....

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks & I may well use Central Wheels however a wheel builder over here in Aus who is a Hagon agent said that Central were getting their wheels made & chromed in India with very poor quality chrome & am being cautious but sounds like he may have been stirring in favour of Hagon as no one else has raised this matter..Bill

nkt267

VOC Member
I used stainless rims and had them painted once they had been drilled, and then built..John

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks & I may well use Central Wheels however a wheel builder over here in Aus who is a Hagon agent said that Central were getting their wheels made & chromed in India with very poor quality chrome & am being cautious but sounds like he may have been stirring in favour of Hagon as no one else has raised this matter..Bill
have a look at their site they offer differing standards of chrome AND SAY SO you pay for what you get,on a working or trials bike the poor ones are often better value at least you get a choice

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi All, I have just had my front wheel rebuilt by Chris at Central Wheel a good job. I had a stainless rim. I have fitted 8 inch brake drums with a hollow axle. Having shimmed the axle three / four times when i tighten the wheel spindle up the wheel still locks solid. It probably stems from not knowing what i am doing. I would appreciate any advice or leads to articles. Thanks
Geoff N.

nkt267

VOC Member
Do you mean it locks when you put the wheel in the forks?.. If it does then try using spacers instead of the brake plates to see if the plates are locking or whether it is the bearings. Try putting extra shims inboard of the bearings, a little play at the wheel rim is ok as you do NOT want the bearings to bind when the hub warms up during your ride.
With the standard setup the brake plates need spacing from the hollow shaft so that they do not rub or bind on the drums.John