H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Re-painting

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m sure this subject must have been covered before but if it has I’m darned if I can find a thread for it or perhaps it’s just me being incompetent. I’m looking for someone who can re-paint the beautiful black and red centres on my Dunlop chrome wheel rims (1950 C Rapide). I guess the wheel will need to be stripped out first including removal of spokes etc, in which case I’d need someone who could rebuild it too. I think I need a new rear tyre a way so it’s a good opportunity to get it done. I’m based in the North East ok England. Many thanks, Nigel Davis

vibrac

VOC Member
I am sorry to mention him again but willis wheels repaints rims as well as building them
I am just a satisfied customer

timetraveller

VOC Member
I did my own and I am not a gifted artist. I started with a bare, newly chromed rim, Used non bleed masking tape around the rim where I wanted the chrome to show. Sproyed several layers of primer and then black gloss paint. Removed the masking tape and used a Bugler pin striper with red paint from a model store to make the lines. Is it as good as a professional job? Probably not but there was some satisfaction in doing the job well enough.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
If you follow Timetreveller's advice, why not go the further step and re-lace the wheel yourself too? It's not all that difficult. There are excellent threads on this topic on this very forum.

nigsey

VOC Member
I am sorry to mention him again but willis wheels repaints rims as well as building them
I am just a satisfied customer
I know North Weald where Willis Wheels are based having been to air shows there in the past, I could easily call in there on my way south. Very helpful thank you.

nigsey

VOC Member
If you follow Timetreveller's advice, why not go the further step and re-lace the wheel yourself too? It's not all that difficult. There are excellent threads on this topic on this very forum.
Now there’s an idea, I have actually re-laced a wheel before on my speedway bike back in the 70s, I’m sure I could manage it again if I put my mind to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

nigsey

VOC Member
I did my own and I am not a gifted artist. I started with a bare, newly chromed rim, Used non bleed masking tape around the rim where I wanted the chrome to show. Sproyed several layers of primer and then black gloss paint. Removed the masking tape and used a Bugler pin striper with red paint from a model store to make the lines. Is it as good as a professional job? Probably not but there was some satisfaction in doing the job well enough.
Would I be skilled enough to paint my own? Possibly. If it goes wrong I could always go to plan B. I’ll give that some serious thought. How did you manage to find the correct colour match for red?

timetraveller

VOC Member
I cannot guarantee that it is the right red. I went to a shop that provides items for model makers and bought two 1.4 ml cans of Humbrol gloss 19. In fact I did not use as much as half a can so do not buy two. The Bugler pin striper was the secret. One of my pal has one so I borrowed his. One of the acessories which comes with this is a variable length guide that can be run against the edge of the rim and allows one to keep to a contant distance from both edges. I can only say that it looks like the right coour of red but after seventy years of exposure to Sum and dirt it would be difficult to get a good analysis of the original paint.

vibrac

VOC Member
I know North Weald where Willis Wheels are based having been to air shows there in the past, I could easily call in there on my way south. Very helpful thank you.
Dont use the stat nav! he is on the airfield but access is from below so to speak!