H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Lining

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi again folks,
should've asked in my last post where the linings should be on a vinnie rim...
KTB says pinstripe is 3 3/32 wide so where does the red and black sit on the rims.
smart answers will be forthcoming no doubt, and appreciated as well as those from the boffins.

nkt267

VOC Member
should've asked in my last post where the linings should be on a vinnie rim...
I had the same problem when I did mine.As I'm pretty thick skinned and will only take criticism from people who RIDE their bikes I painted the curved section of the rim black and ran the lines almost (about 1/16 inch) touching the join between flat and curved section.That works out roughly to painting the rim black 7/32" wider each side than the centre curve.The comercially painted ones I got done are maybe a touch wider but I'm not into concours.And I wouldn't be suprised if there is no official figure for this. If in doubt do what you find most pleasing to your eye,it's your bike after all.
Stand by for another 100 versions.John

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Hi, my name is Tony and I am a first time caller......and rather afraid that my suggestion on wheel lining may be regarded as sacrilege.

Ah well, here goes. I have gone the route of painted lines in the past, on occasion had to wipe off and restart because of imperfections etc. Even durability was questionable over the long haul.

That is when I dscovered automotive pinstriping. Heresy I know. But it is what I use, looks original, has never peeled off and to the naked eye looks no different to a painted on stripe. There is a secret to the stick-on quality and that is once applied run a hair dryer over the pin-striping which guarantees the seal.

I hope I won't be drummed out of the corps....

All the best

Tony Cording - Vancouver Section

Tony Cording

VOC Member
Wheel stripes

Hi Bruce, perhaps it won't be noticed alongside of my Mikunis, Kubota generator and Screamin' eagle ignition.......

Tony

Chris.R

VOC Member
I had the same problem when I did mine.As I'm pretty thick skinned and will only take criticism from people who RIDE their bikes I painted the curved section of the rim black and ran the lines almost (about 1/16 inch) touching the join between flat and curved section.That works out roughly to painting the rim black 7/32" wider each side than the centre curve.The comercially painted ones I got done are maybe a touch wider but I'm not into concours.And I wouldn't be suprised if there is no official figure for this. If in doubt do what you find most pleasing to your eye,it's your bike after all.
Stand by for another 100 versions.John
Hi I would appreciate a photo of the painted wheels it would be nice to see how they have worn, I am about to have a go at mine Chris

vibrac

VOC Member
Tony after your kindness to me at the Canadian International nothing could ever be wrong on your Vincent IMHO

craig

VOC Member
Claimed by me, 1947 Rapide original rear wheel for data point.
I did clean the lead weight with steel wool and put it back on with a new nut.

20131128_WheelWeights1.jpg

Last edited:

Chris.R

VOC Member
Claimed by me, 1947 Rapide original rear wheel for data point.
I did clean the lead weight with steel wool and put it back on with a new nut.

View attachment 24808
Thanks Craig I will have to post a pic of mine when I have done them presently I have identified paint and brush sources and am after chroming having the centres prepared for painting I am sure that I will be able to manage this job myself with care and deference to those who have done it before me.