H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Information

Bowes Tim

New Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you for all the reply’s sent regarding re building my wheels, it looks like I’m going to have to sort quite a few things out.
one of my main concerns is the lack of clearance between the back of the front drums and the spokes at the hub flanges possibly only 0.001”/.002“ also the fact that the front brake drums have been chromed in the 1970s don’t know if this affects the structure of the cast drums.
The spokes are 8 swg /10 swg butted.
Thanks again
tim

Attachments

• 86F7FEDE-839C-4E1A-B1F9-5076E57FD9DE.jpeg
    86F7FEDE-839C-4E1A-B1F9-5076E57FD9DE.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 24

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I wondered if anyone can give me some information on re building the wheels up to standard ie 300 x 20 front and 350 x 19 in steel or stainless.

They have got at present alloy Borrani WM 1-19 record front and WM 2 - 19 rear with 1970s chromed hub flanges and with twin Black Shadow ribbed chromed drums, front and plain drums at the rear.

Any information on wheel builders/restorers/recommendations would be appreciated.

Tim
Tim,
its quite a few years ago but I used Devon Rims and had stainless wheels done, which were perfect. Here's a link to them

Cheers Jon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Of course if you have perfect wheels now you could build a Taveners Jig to build a new rim I made one for my Difazio (obviously with a moving axel its a difficult job on a conventional spinning jig) I was very pleased when the re rimmed wheel came out perfect and not a wheel builder in sight