H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Information

Bowes Tim

New Forum User
VOC Member
I wondered if anyone can give me some information on re building the wheels up to standard ie 300 x 20 front and 350 x 19 in steel or stainless.

They have got at present alloy Borrani WM 1-19 record front and WM 2 - 19 rear with 1970s chromed hub flanges and with twin Black Shadow ribbed chromed drums, front and plain drums at the rear.

Any information on wheel builders/restorers/recommendations would be appreciated.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wondered if anyone can give me some information on re building the wheels up to standard ie 300 x 20 front and 350 x 19 in steel or stainless.

They have got at present alloy Borrani WM 1-19 record front and WM 2 - 19 rear with 1970s chromed hub flanges and with twin Black Shadow ribbed chromed drums, front and plain drums at the rear.

Any information on wheel builders/restorers/recommendations would be appreciated.

Tim
You can probably sell those alloy rims to cover the cost of some nice new steel ones. Whether you go chrome or SS is up to you but the painting adds to the costs. You need to decide also if you want the extra holes for the weights and the clamps. I would also be be very suspect of chromed brake drums!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You can probably sell those alloy rims to cover the cost of some nice new steel ones. Whether you go chrome or SS is up to you but the painting adds to the costs. You need to decide also if you want the extra holes for the weights and the clamps. I would also be be very suspect of chromed brake drums!
He said chrome hub flanges ---- more likely spoke flanges chromed than drums.

brian gains

VOC Member
why not have a go at building the wheels yourself. if it doesn't work out, take it to local builder to true it for you.
tell Central Wheels what you have and they will supply correct spoke set and rims.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you have a go yourself and get stuck I can do the building for you, been doing my own for 40 years and a short stint doing them for a shop, I'm 40 miles from you.