• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Information

Bowes Tim

New Website User
VOC Member
I wondered if anyone can give me some information on re building the wheels up to standard ie 300 x 20 front and 350 x 19 in steel or stainless.

They have got at present alloy Borrani WM 1-19 record front and WM 2 - 19 rear with 1970s chromed hub flanges and with twin Black Shadow ribbed chromed drums, front and plain drums at the rear.

Any information on wheel builders/restorers/recommendations would be appreciated.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Albervin

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I wondered if anyone can give me some information on re building the wheels up to standard ie 300 x 20 front and 350 x 19 in steel or stainless.

They have got at present alloy Borrani WM 1-19 record front and WM 2 - 19 rear with 1970s chromed hub flanges and with twin Black Shadow ribbed chromed drums, front and plain drums at the rear.

Any information on wheel builders/restorers/recommendations would be appreciated.

Tim
You can probably sell those alloy rims to cover the cost of some nice new steel ones. Whether you go chrome or SS is up to you but the painting adds to the costs. You need to decide also if you want the extra holes for the weights and the clamps. I would also be be very suspect of chromed brake drums!

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
You can probably sell those alloy rims to cover the cost of some nice new steel ones. Whether you go chrome or SS is up to you but the painting adds to the costs. You need to decide also if you want the extra holes for the weights and the clamps. I would also be be very suspect of chromed brake drums!
He said chrome hub flanges ---- more likely spoke flanges chromed than drums.

Bowes Tim

New Website User
VOC Member
Thank you for all the reply’s sent regarding re building my wheels, it looks like I’m going to have to sort quite a few things out.
one of my main concerns is the lack of clearance between the back of the front drums and the spokes at the hub flanges possibly only 0.001”/.002“ also the fact that the front brake drums have been chromed in the 1970s don’t know if this affects the structure of the cast drums.
The spokes are 8 swg /10 swg butted.
Thanks again
tim

Attachments

• 86F7FEDE-839C-4E1A-B1F9-5076E57FD9DE.jpeg
    86F7FEDE-839C-4E1A-B1F9-5076E57FD9DE.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 19

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

Tim
Tim,
its quite a few years ago but I used Devon Rims and had stainless wheels done, which were perfect. Here's a link to them

Cheers Jon

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories