Wheel Building.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After an accident on my Moto Guzzi I had to rebuild both front and rear wheels. Like Vincent wheels the rims are centered on the hubs and have 40 spokes. Before stripping my damaged wheels I laid the new rim on top of the damaged one and numbered the holes on the rim to correspond to the holes on the hub. I used one red and one blue marker to indicate which side of the wheel the hole corresponded too. Numbering beginning at the inner tube hole. Additionally the Guzzi wheels are a cross one, so odds for outside and evens for inside. Just had to make sure the rim was the right way around because of the angle of the hole in the rim.
Steven

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the tip with the Taverner's jig, very helpful..after a few attempts of 'Kerplonk' with the spokes finally achieved a laced front wheel and started to true it. 21" front Devon rim/spokes, so a bit easier than smaller sizes I'd suppose, did come across a problem with the Devon spokes though -nothing inherently wrong with them, far from it -but when lacing the spoke head at the hub/flange end each one appears to push against the shaft of the next exerting added pressure and bend - did I read somewhere that its a good idea to grind a small 'flat spot' on the head of each spoke to prevent contact pressure? Grind being at 10 or 2 o'clock depending on direction, head facing you, shaft vertical. I'm new to wheel building so very willing to take advice here...

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
'Taverners' not 'Travelers' Jig , The former was named after Les Tavener who evolved it (VMCC journal March 1984), the latter is allegedly a drunken dance performed amongst some very expensive caravans parked in a layby

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
'Taverners' not 'Travelers' Jig , The former was named after Les Tavener who evolved it (VMCC journal March 1984), the latter is allegedly a drunken dance performed amongst some very expensive caravans parked in a layby
I see the difference now -thanx for pointing it out, had wondered :). And I can't even put that down to spell check being helpful in this instance. Anyway, any need to grab a grinder do you think and give each spoke head a flat edge at those angles?