Wheel Building.

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, i need to replace my front rim after a accident last week.
So is the spoke pattern, on the pre-war wheels standard cross 4 vincent pattern?
Thanks.

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Standard?
Vincent?
Same breath?
I think not.
When I built my A I ordered new spokes and rims from Devon as the originals were well done. The man sent them cross 3 lacing as he (and I) had had an issue with a 19" rear on a post war machine. I gave him a right bollocking over it and when I got around to lacing it went and looked at what I am still convinced was its original rear 19 and guess what -- cross 3..... I eventually ate the slice of humble pie and apologized to the man!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Oh the complexities of wheel building !!!!
I went to build a Matchless back wheel on Thursday, I had stripped the wheel myself and measured the spokes, inner and outer both sides 206mm, got a new rim and spokes to fit and it wouldn't lace up, the spokes were too long for cross two and too short for cross three.
I resorted to an on-line spoke calculator program which told me cross two required 200mm spokes and cross three 212mm, I had some 212mm spokes, used those and it laced up correctly.
How could it have had 206mm spokes in it before ??????

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is what I used to build my last wheel the old one was complete but had rusty spokes its called a Taverners Jig . normally it would only have a small hole in the center for a wheel spindle but in this case I was building a hub center Difazio wheel (which is what got me to try this method) so I had to locate on the Hub itself having done one and found it so easy (in fact I did not have to resort to final truing as it came out of the jig perfect) I shall not be spending large amounts at wheel builders anymore -so long as I have a pattern. Look up "Taverner Jig" or look in "The Vintage motorcyclists workshop" book which is where I found it.

1535791366467.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Glen I'm sorry i didn't catch you at the track day on Thursday, only found out afterward of your accident. I do remember speeding past you a couple of times on that 600 Norvin single I was riding and having a great time. The best rims in my opinion are Devon rims from the UK made entirely in the UK and exact shape profile as the original Dunlop rims in either Chrome steel or stainless. Cheers...........Greg.

glen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
Thanks for great replies, i will make a travellers jig.
And Greg it was so annoying having a accident because of a ducati rider overtaking and dropping into the corner right in front of me.
The 600 Norvin single looked like lots of fun, i will try and get a devon rim now and do a rebuild on the front and r/h side of the bike now. cheers Glen.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I heard about the Ducati thing.........was that in the lunchtime parade lap.........?..........Anyway if you need any help with anything or parts give me a call, Rodney and Neal may be of assistance too given the new "A" twins, I have worked on them..........Glen's one with the Burgundy tank was the one i built last year. Cheers..........Greg.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The Book by Radco is also useful for this type of thing. I believe he has a Taverner Jig and plans for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
"The book by radco" and the "Vintage motorcyclists workshop" I referred to are the same thing ( unless you know different:cool:)