H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Wheel Bearing (H22) Seals?

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am rebuilding the wheels on my 1948 Rapide. I obtained Nilos Seals (H55/1) (presumably Nilos # 09074/09196 AV as Nilos uses the SKF numbers for their seal numbers) from VOC Spares for the front & rear wheel bearings . The bearing cone is marked W5413 (not 09074) and may well be the original SKF bearings. The only references I can find to W5413 are Vincent related and suggest it is superseded by SKF 09074 (cone) and 09196 (cup). Unfortunately, these seals are too shallow for the bearings and do not make contact with the races when flat against the cones, i.e. perhaps modern cups are slightly taller than the earlier bearings. I have carefully shimmed the bearings to .005 inch up-down play on the axle. The bearings are still good so I had not planned to replace them.
Alternatives:
1) Replace cones with modern and see if the Nilos seals will fit new cones with old cups. If cups are the problem, then this will not work. Anyone know?
2) Replace cones and cups. I didn't want to remove the old cups etc. as that can be a pain (and the expense).
3) Is there a modern regular grease seal that will work against the OD of the old bearing's inner cone section and fit tightly into the hub?
4) In another post (I have read a lot of posts) was mention of Speet brass seals but I do not know where to obtain them or cost.
5) Use the old ratty felts (no thanks).
I welcome any suggestions for me as to what to do for seals?
Thank you.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Use the old seals ?,
They have always worked for me, Maybe buy new felts and maybe make them a bit thinner,
There should not be too much grease in there.
Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just use a piece of pipe or a socket large enough to support the outer rim of the nilos seal, then using a spare hollow axle if you have one or something similar just gently tap the center further out, so you are slightly deepening the cup shape of the nilos seal.........done this several times and it works fine. They are thin and quite easy to bend so you don't have to push it much.........good luck.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Greg, That is an interesting idea that I had not considered. Thank you for the suggestion. To use what I already have is very tempting.
Vincent Brake (Mr. Speet) - I will wait to see what your solution is before I proceed. Perhaps it is something like H55 "Grease Retainer" for racing applications? I do not know what H55 actually looks like and it is not offered by VOC Spares.
Thank you.
John

robin

VOC Member
May I suggest that you have H55/2 Nilos seals which fit narrow bearings instead of H55/1 seals which fit the wide bearings. Easy mistake to make when stocking the shelves. they look the same unless compared side by side.

vibrac

VOC Member
I wish I could remember what tin lid I used to cover up the drumless side of the Vincent backwheel I think it had black and white stripes so it may be a tin lid from Brasso Wadding I know it fitted perfectly.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Name me a forum one can take a picture. And post in an instant.
Anyway here's the H55 one to suit this set of bearings.
The seal is far more rigid than nilos rings. Hence I Don't like m.
Seal is on the inner race. With play of 0.05_0.1 mm.
Rotation of outer ring keeps grease I side
If need other than on your lathe. As my beer s running low.
2021-07-2515.26.143645211832778278576.jpg