F: Frame Wheel bearing extraction

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don't worry Peter. My sensibilities, like other things, can stand up for themselves. What you choose to do in the privacy of your home with sparking plugs and chisels is nothing to do with the rest of us and if your advice helps others to get round a problem then that is fine by me.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have never tried and my set doesn't have one big enough but I think a blind hole bearing puller may do the trick. My set only goes to 32 mm and I looked at an original bearing cup and there is only a very slight increase in dia at the inner face

Chris.R

VOC Member
Yes I did look at blind pullers some are pretty pricy £60.00 or so SKF do them for ball races but may not do the job as a lip is needed to get a grip. I reckoned that 30-40mm would be the size needed to go in with a slide hammer, I have hired this sort in the past when handling wheel bearings on old Fords.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Chris R my handsome, there is an engineering solution and the VOCSC are using it.
Recently I bought a new hub to build a new front wheel for brothers "A" to have fitted Vincent Speet brake set and bought a set for me too, The new hub from the spares company came and there were two milled slots behind the bearing cup so a drifting tool could be applied, good idea I thought and did the same to the hub I used, Normally I use a sharp-edged mushroom drift as there is normally a little protruding beyond the casting and tap them out.
Bananaman.
Hi Marcus is there a chance you have a photo of the arrangement of the slotted hub you speak of.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Here you are my handsomes, just happen to be at the VOCSC for a TC meeting & Bob Patchett got a hub off the shelf for me.

Also attended a very poorly supported AGM and an annual dinner with only 70 people,,the use to be around 300 when I first attended them

IMG_1191.jpeg

Chris.R

VOC Member
Here you are my handsomes, just happen to be at the VOCSC for a TC meeting & Bob Patchett got a hub off the shelf for me.

Also attended a very poorly supported AGM and an annual dinner with only 70 people,,the use to be around 300 when I first attended them

View attachment 29477

Thanks Marcus it is good to see what is a sensible way forward a simple milling job really. sorry to see that the meeting was poorly attended does it have anything to do with an aging membership I wonder.
Chris