Wheel Balancing

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have yet to fit new front tyre but shall go with regular solder, as long as more than a couple of inched is not needed.
I think my original concern was that some solders are too thin and that under centrifugal force they would just collapse and be flung off.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I realized no one has mentioned it, but solder is most commonly available as rosin core or as acid core, and less commonly as solid solder. It's actually the latter that you want since it's significantly more dense (not to mention, doesn't contain an acidic substance to drip onto your chrome).

vibrac

VOC Member
No one has mentioned these, have they? FT182 etc
perhaps a way of using those security bolt holes?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
No one has mentioned these, have they? FT182 etc
perhaps a way of using those security bolt holes?
Provided that is where the light spot is and not heavy spot.
I recently balanced my '66 Triumph wheel when I put a new tire and tube on it. The heaviest spot was not near either of the two security clamps. Once I had it so that spot didn't fall to the bottom a new spot tended to migrate to the bottom. I will admit it isn't the prettiest looking but I can put the wheel in any position and it will stay put. Twice I thought I was going about it wrong and stripped it all off and started again because of the number of solder pieces that I was putting on. I double checked to make sure the tire was seated properly on the rim. Because in comparison to when I did the Shadow's rim and my '72 Triumph rim I was using what seemed a lot and the heavy spot seemed to be moving.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I actually considered the possibility that it might have been residual soap from mounting the tire or water from washing the soap off. That was why left it on the balance stand for a few days after to make sure before putting it back on the bike.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I think the lead wire is ugly. This is what my tyre change chap puts on to balance wheel. Fairly discreet look.
20200602_074221.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
As I've been doing a little cleaning I feel I can show you.
Front wheel with stick on weights, yes it is wide WM3. The bigger the voluum the less pressure required, and better the comfort, testing about 25psi front and 30psi rear.
When we had 13" wheels on the outfit 10psi was plenty front & back.

IMG_2227.jpeg

REAR WHEEL STICK ON WEIGHTS AND EVEN WIDER RIM WM 5

IMG_2226.jpeg

brian gains

VOC Member
MSVH13 are you happy that tyre is seated correctly. My resolution isn't that marvellous but I would expect to see moulded ring graduationss in the tyre visible just outside the wheel rim.
When I put on a tyre I whack it up to 60pst to ensure it it is fully seated and usually you ess the moulded rings which indicate the tyre is seated evenly.
Again, excuse me if it my lousy eyesight or p*ss poor computer screen . if you could confirm all is OK.I'll keep my ill informed observations to myself in future,