Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like this?
20200603_122456.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
That looks like good glue. What is it please? prefer that way than my own stuck to the rim as it makes it awkward cleaning with an angle grinder and felt mop that I only just sauced recently. Soap the mop hold onto the rim and it turns it for you, stick a foot on the tyre to slow it down if surface speeds become too close, I do have one bike with valanced rims but not tried it on that yet.

davidd

VOC Member
I do use the stick-on weights on the racer, but I place them on the rim! I don't remember the rule, exactly, but AHRMA asks racers to put duct tape over the stick-on weights. As a result, I usually attach the tape loosely with the prospective weights. I don't seal the tape until the wheel is balanced, so the tape is also part of the weight that is balanced. It does keep the weights in place, but the tires tend not to last quite as long on the track, so cleaning is not a big issue.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
For balancing car wheels, remember the clamp/crimp on style of weights? When stylish accessory wheels became the norm, I remember asking the tire shop to attach the weights to the inside of the rim, out of sight. Now, it seems they know to put the stick on weights on the inside without the need to ask.

LoneStar

VOC Member
Might work fine in practice, but reasons it's suspect:

- Rubber, being flexible, is an inferior to a rigid surface for glue to adhere to. (Maybe not a factor if that elusive 'right glue' is used.)

- Centrifugal force is trying to push the weight off the tire, rather than against the inside of the rim.

- Farther axially from the center plane of the rotating mass, so adds a small imbalance.

Last edited: