Wheel balance weights on Vincents FT167

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I request information on Vincent wheel balance weights.
I see two of the FT167 balanced weight bolts are required per wheel, 4 each per motorcycle.
Are these installed with a nut (washer?) to hold them in place?, awaiting a specific lead weight?
Is a rim lock H56/? with extended bolt required 4 nipples from tube hole creating, theoretically, the "heavy side of the wheel"?

I guess my real question is - do the weight bolts install with nuts and then the lead weights have a relief hole to accomodate?
Any pictures of this? dimensions? sources for weights?
Cheers
Craig

ossie

VOC Member
mine are counter bored to go over the securing nut.[answer is yes]
i have not really looked at other bikes to see what sort of weights they have mine are about an inch in diameter.
next time i am amongst a few bikes i will have to take more notice of what they use.
mine are the same ones been on the shadow since 1966 when i bought it.
OSSIE

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Since the beginning lengths off a roll of solder wrapped around the appropriate spokes got the balancing job done perfectly . Certainly best when alloy rims are employed as on most of our bikes .
What to do when your new tire has a heavy section not addressed by the Vincent system ? How is this corrected ? Sid .

ossie

VOC Member
SID
surely your not asking us with all your experience,
but thats how your message reads????
take it to the wobbly wheel man.
OSSIE

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I thought my short remark clearly written . What about it is confusing Ossie ? I meant that if the tire itself has a heavy section , and add to that there is often a heavy spot in the std steel rims , often at the butting point , the two can make balancing more difficult .
Use of solder wrapping technique offers easier correction , in my experiance anyway . Perhaps I'm wrong . Sid .

ossie

VOC Member
your last comment is.
how is this corrected .
that is the question part i replied to.
uk and american way of saying things can be so different.
like the phrase... ...get you up in the morning. or. i will knock you up in the morning... same thing over here but two different meanings to you.
OSSIE
I do balance my own wheels and they do need a lot of weight to offset the valve and security clamp.