Wheel axle tommy bars.

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can the original type of wheel axle tommy bars still be obtained, and from where? The spares company only supply those made from solid stainless steel stock: I am not happy with stainless steel contiually in contact with the alloy fork blades in this vunerable area! Derek.

Howard

VOC Member
I assume you’re worried about electrolytic action (the joys of living at the seaside).

As Vibrac says a small washer would isolate the parts, I’d use aluminium and throw it away if/when it got pitted, but to be honest I think a smear of grease would be enough insulation. You can also buy nylon isolation washers, but you may have to buy 5000 unless a local stockist will give you a couple of samples. :)

H

john998

VOC Member
Hello, perhaps Derek is referring to an axle turned from solid stainless as opposed to the original three piece type, that had a non stainless spindle.
If so electrolytic corrosion through the fork holes is a possibility.
Also adding washers of a different metal will make another battery and so more corrosion.
Regards John.

b'knighted

VOC Member
This only deals with the shoulder contact which surely is always separated by a washer and by the paint on the outside of the fork blade. The spindle, normally greased steel, is more likely to contact unpainted alloy in the bore through the blade. Would copperslip prevent the electrolytic action? Used original spindles are currently offered on ebay.

This was intended to follow Howards post but John posted while I was typing!

Howard

VOC Member
The point is to make the cheapest component corrode (sacrificial anode), in this case an aluminium washer would corrode against the stainless spindle, and not the aluminium fork blades that wouldn’t have a potential between them and the aluminium washer.

I think it’s all a red herring here anyway, as Ian says there’s always paint and grease around. Take the spindle out every Autumn, clean it and grease it. We don’t worry about stainless nuts and washers on crankcases……. Do we?

H

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
more to the point , has any body ever experienced electrolytic action in this area. I certanly have not, nor have I heard of any body else. Not even on the blades when using stainless steel fork spindles, which have been used now for many years on countless bike.
How ever if thise should be a problem for you, the correct product to use is JC5A yellow zinc chromate jointing compound , available from light aero spares LTD aero@euro bell.co.uk.

stumpy lord.

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
No, have not experienced corrosion in the the spindle area but have a fork leg with corrosion on the brake abutment.
Also in the rear mudguard hinge with stainless 1/4 rod.
Regards John.

vibrac

VOC Member
as I said a plain steel plated washer will do the trick-myself I have never had a problem with Vincents if I dont add grease the castrol R on my hands does the trick;-)
But go near a BMW maybe only a few years old and try a few nuts. A good example is the mudguard/fork bolt and you find plenty of little batteries without stainless, serves em right for being so oil tight (including their assembly workers)
all the answers are here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

clevtrev

VOC Member
Derek thinks he has a problem in Southport, with the sea only on one side, here I have the sea on all four sides. But I don`t have a problem, why ? because I have a Vincent. A few years ago went to the Lakes Rally for a day trip, when I arrived, I was aked `What are you doing her ?` replied, I`ve come for a little trip, to warm up the engine and get it prepped for the winter vacation, i.e. I got some oil mist all over the bike. For those that did know that bike, it was only stainless and aluminium. The bike`s down the west country now, and I doubt it has a problem. That little trip was only 850 miles, between 8 on Saturday morning, til 4 on Sunday afternoon.