What's with the 5?

RedRyder

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Howdy, Pals. In my spares I have a front (ET47/1AS) cam that has a "5" stamped at the inboard end of the cam. I am also mindful that some are marked on the timing cover side of the cam. Others that I have seen may be marked with a "1,2, or 3." I know what those numbers mean, and then some cams have no marking at all. But, what about this "5?" Anybody know the scoop on those?

Cheers

A_HRD

VOC Member
A wild guess:
Early one frosty winter Monday morning, the cam-man stamped up a few cams before his first cuppa of the day - having picked-up the 5 and thought it was a 2......(?)

Peter B

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
A wild guess:
Early one frosty winter Monday morning, the cam-man stamped up a few cams before his first cuppa of the day - having picked-up the 5 and thought it was a 2......(?)

Peter B

Peter - unless another surfaces with revelation on this, I am inclined to think you are right, as I had a similar thought, although I thought about said cam man going for a 3. Those numbers on the cams are not big and one imagines the lighting could not have been terrific. They look to be the profile of MK 3. Thanks for the response. If anyone knows of a MK 5 and what any differences would be - or reasons why offered - please jump in.