What's the significance of the letters "ZEGI" stamped above my dynamo drive?

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My 1950 Rapide engine, 33xx, has the letters "ZEGI" stamped into the LH crankcase above the dynamo drive. Does anybody have any idea about the origin and/or the significance of this stamping? Also, does anybody else have a similar, although not necessarily the same letters, stamping on their engine crankcase?

Mark

Attachments

• ZEGIPic.jpg
    ZEGIPic.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 105

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is a foundry code that (sort of) corresponds to the date of manufacture/stamping of the crankcases. There is no direct correlation, but it can, sometimes by exclusion, point to fraud or re-stamping. I have been initiated in a slurry of wet wombat droppings and parboiled in used Aeroshell therefore I am not allowed, under the rules of an exclusive Brotherhood, to reveal more. As a point of interest there are smaller test and inspection stamps on other parts of the gubbins.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
we did have a Greek guy that worked at Vincents and he was a Ex GI, Zorro said seeing that both bikes are in the USA he would say a local repairers tag

Last edited:

Flylow

VOC Member
My crankcase has the same stamping on the inside of the case. Same font size but i cannot see if the first letter is a "Z" on mine. I can guarantee you that it was not repaired by a Greek guy in USA! Some sort of foundry code, makes sense but who knows.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
how about Sub Zero? (Zorro the Greek said) being that all three bikes are in the USA it would be intresting to trace back to selling dealer. If VOC was given the numbers they may have the answer ,

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
how about Sub Zero? (Zorro the Greek said) being that all three bikes are in the USA it would be intresting to trace back to selling dealer. If VOC was given the numbers he may have the answer ,

Not Gordon anymore David

Last edited by a moderator: