whats the correct gas tap type

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
gas taps

The practical answer has to be , something that doese'nt leak! Ewarts may be original, but be ready to phone the fire brigade.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
The practical answer has to be , something that doese'nt leak! Ewarts may be original, but be ready to phone the fire brigade.

Roy,

That reminds me of a time I was riding home on "PIP" one afternoon in fast traffic, on a single lane in each direction, road. I was running on the left side tap and using the right side tap as reserve. As luck would have it, she started to run dry going over a fairly long bridge. So I pulled out the right tap for reserve. And I mean, I pulled it out! It seems that the stop screw had backed out on me and was no longer doing its job.

So here I was, going up a grade, on a bridge, with no place to pull over, in
traffic with my petcock in my throttle hand as I watched my reserve fuel poring out on my right boot and exhaust pipe, to the sound of my
carburetors backfiring from lack of fuel. To prove the old bromide about God looking out for fools, I was able to put the the cork carrier back in the petcock on just the second try, (I was wearing winter weight gloves at the time), and still had enough fuel to make it over the bridge and to pull over and empty my boot of the excess fuel it was now holding.

So to my fellow Vincent owners, don't try to top this. Please check those petcocks and think about an upgrade. ( I did, and I also put a little extra $ in the plate, the next Sunday).

Ken Smith ( Phil. Pa. USA )

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Whee! OVM reprinted !

A year or two ago I googled this and found that Amazon were advertising it, I think as 'temporarily out of stock' at £24.75

I met JPB at the Banbury run last year and asked whether it would be reprinted, answer was pretty negative.

Amazon says today:
'This title has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available'

I'd be very surprised if it was to be reprinted in December, although it would be wonderful news if it was, it's an very useful book and would be great value for that price.

Yes Mr xxx who bought your copy for £24 guineas when it was originally printed, but for used copies on ebay, around £85 seems to be the going price.

Any comments JPB?

wld50

"Original VINCENT Motorcycle The restorer's guide to postwar singles and twins "
JP Bickerstaff

Reprinted at last, and a signed copy for the special offer of £27.50 UK post free to VOC members!
Why wait for Christmas!
One in the eye for ebay!

See insert with MPH or ring Herridge & Sons / +44 (0) 1409 281910 www.herridgeandsons.com

wld50