whats the correct gas tap type

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've seen several different types of gas taps on Vincents, My bike is a 52 Rapide, what are the correct taps fitted to the bikes of this era?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
On my '52 Rapide , which is one owner from new before me so virtually untouched and standard , the tap is a a round plunger type , pull for on and twist to lock on.

bmetcalf

VOC Member

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
"Ewarts" push-pull gas taps are sometimes available as NOS or at autojumbles...the corks are still available.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Dug my taps out to image , I was so sure they were the turn to lock on but they are'nt !! Just normal pull for on :-

DSCF0010-1.jpg

DSCF0011-1.jpg

DSCF0012-1.jpg

DSCF0013-1.jpg

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Pity the edit post function has been disabled , I could have just added the image that didn't appear in the above post !!

DSCF0011-1.jpg

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Reprint of Bickerstaff?

Original Vincent by Jacqueline Bickerstaff, long-time VOCer, has a lot of good info. http://www.amazon.com/Original-Vinc...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242307622&sr=1-1
Apparently temporarily out of print, but maybe used copies are available sooner than December.

A year or two ago I googled this and found that Amazon were advertising it, I think as 'temporarily out of stock' at £24.75

I met JPB at the Banbury run last year and asked whether it would be reprinted, answer was pretty negative.

Amazon says today:
'This title has not yet been released.
You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available'

I'd be very surprised if it was to be reprinted in December, although it would be wonderful news if it was, it's an very useful book and would be great value for that price.

Yes Mr xxx who bought your copy for £24 guineas when it was originally printed, but for used copies on ebay, around £85 seems to be the going price.

Any comments JPB?

wld50