What's it worth?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not rehashing a recent thread, but it made me think (haven't done that for a while) about the good old days of discussing renaming the VOC the Vincent Riders Club. Then my mind wandered, and it occurred to me, that when collectors have finished producing beautiful museum pieces, the ridden ones will be very rare, and worth a fortune ................ or am I dreaming?

This subject is quite topical for me, because a friend bought a Rap, expensively, at auction that looks very nice, with new paintwork and chrome, and expensive stainless domed nuts etc etc, but after nagging him to bring it on clubruns, he finally confessed that it's not enjoyable to ride, and it needs fettling. So being a nice person (spelt M U G) I offered to sort it. The engine ran rough, the gearbox had more neutrals than gears, the clutch was an on/off switch, the brakes were "exciting" and oil leaked from all sorts of places, and I agreed it wasn't pleasant to ride. It was sold as a rider's bike, but it's either been tarted up to look at in the garage, or sell for big bucks. So far I haven't found anything massively wrong, just things a rider would correct. Just an example - the clutch was adjusted with no play, the pushrod had been spinning on the actuator arm, which I suspect, from the colouring, had overheated the electric start sprag clutch and wrecked the bearings.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
I can assure you the syndrome is not confined to Vincents, I recently saw a very nice pre war machine imaculate, the headlight and battery case contained just a coil of electrical wire connected to-nothing.

Howard

VOC Member
Don't start me on electrics................ new Alton alternator, headlamp newly painted, rim chromed and reflector silver painted????

H

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Maybe it was described as a "riders bike" because you learn to mend it as you ride it. My gearbox self destructed last year, no gripes, it gave me a project, learnt from it! It's called carachter building.