Whatever next?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Egli is registered 1978 and I am sure a lot more are over 30 years old they should be Ok
My 356 chesil kit car passes all the DVLA points in order to retain its 1967 VW numberpate and has done so since 2002 but it has a porsche shape body shell so will need to be tested
Its still a mine field but there are foot prints
In any case as I have said before if I use a bike a lot I will get an MOT on a voluntary basis from now on. I need that behind me at least I can just see the Insurance loophole 'contributing factor, mechanical condition"

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I understand wanting to avoid the 'contributing factor, mechanical condition' issue, but I think you would be a better judge of a Vin's roadworthiness than any MOT inspector.

vibrac

VOC Member
I understand wanting to avoid the 'contributing factor, mechanical condition' issue, but I think you would be a better judge of a Vin's roadworthiness than any MOT inspector.
Ah Bruce, of course, you are right (a fact I was reminded every time I had to explain rim movement and taper roller bearings to the MOT man) but I cant issue a piece of paper that is recognized by bureaucracy however worthless in reality it is.

vibrac

VOC Member
I sent off my V5c with supporting letters from BMW (that cost an arm and a leg) and a motorcycle shop to say the engine in my Difazio was not the one in the logbook they sent the letters back saying 'please fill in the V5C correctly where indicated' of course the V5c was not in the envelope. 1st phone call 'Oh we send it seperately wait a week' next phone call 'we still have it ring after xmas'. Again I copied the V5c before sending it ,sent it recorded delivery and kept a diary with names and times of my calls. But who do I complain to? and these are our servants we pay for....
Update: just before Xmas I received all my supporting documents back but no V5c so just after Christmas I rang and was told send them all back so I did. Today I receive a letter asking for supporting documents and also -you guessed it a copy of my V5c still with the old information.
Amazingly this time I have an email address so I have sent off an email with all the sorry details and ask them what shall I do now? the saga continues

vibrac

VOC Member
Update: just before Xmas I received all my supporting documents back but no V5c so just after Christmas I rang and was told send them all back so I did. Today I receive a letter asking for supporting documents and also -you guessed it a copy of my V5c still with the old information.
Amazingly this time I have an email address so I have sent off an email with all the sorry details and ask them what shall I do now? the saga continues
Next installment
as I said I sent back my supporting documents again (again recorded delivery)and I get an email today They seem to have lost both my supporting documents 'do you have a copy?" it seems when they are at fault they will accept photostats of documents
I can't believe that an organization of that size does not copy and record all received documents it is just sheer incompetence.

vibrac

VOC Member
I see it happened at last
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...-self-driving-car-in-s-f-sues-general-motors/

I dont see that we should get too upset that a programer forgot about motorcyclists, after all, Road planners forgot about us when they put up steel rope barriers, Urban planners forgot about us when they were looking at ways to cut pollution and congestion. Rights of way officers forgot us when they try to stop fly tipping and 4X4 vehicles cutting up green lanes. etc, etc
Hopefully in future the programer in question will add 'motorcyclist' to the group 'human beings' in Asimovs 3 laws of robotics:
  • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
This is just the first of many. Safety fences are placed around robots in factories for a reason. Robots do not sense humans, no sight, no hearing, nothing. They are going to go to the position indicated in the program that is currently in control, come hell or high water. Even if the robot in the factory does have some sort of proximity warning device, it takes time for that information to be processed by the controller, momentum and inertia have a lot of time to keep going before the response takes effect. By that time it is way to late the damage has been done.
I realize that the majority of drivers on the road today are dullards to put it politely. I also realize that the majority of individuals are traveling because they must do, not because they want to. But I don't understand the rush to surrender control over one's vehicle. I have very little, if any faith in complex computer programs. I always review the results of any analysis I run before releasing it to who ever requested it. So the thought of extremely complex computer programs being in control of vehicles to any extent I find worrying Intelligence is more than responding to stimuli. It requires a memory of prior experience, to begin with. A driver with experience or cognitive of all possible scenarios and ensuing consequences may have double checked before aborting the lane change, applied the brakes and allowed Mr. Nilsson to complete over taking before returning to the center of the lane. But then again that is supposition on my part.
Ultimately the owner/operator of an autonomous vehicle must accept that they are responsible for the actions of the vehicle. If not, then watch insurance premiums climb through the roof, if owners of said vehicles can even purchase insurance. Insurance after all is based on the individual's ability to operate a vehicle safely. If the individual isn't in or can't control the vehicle, who is the insured?
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
I see the 'top traffic police officer' in the UK has said that its time to scrap the 10% margin and people should be prosecuted for traveling at 31 in a 30 zone.
Well plagiarizing the safety lobby "its there for a reason" its not 10% for leniency or even speedo accuracy (not an inconsequential factor in our bikes) its there I suspect because thoughtfull experienced people would rather someone drove at between 30 and 33 rather than spend his time watching the speedo and not the road. I know how my concentration is diverted in 20mph zones in deserted village streets.
you cannot rightly moan about people looking at stat navs and phones and then tell them to increase their speedometer watch time under threat of prosecution

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Galling though it is we have to live with unrealistic speed limits, if you don't want to gather points and fines don't try to ride/drive at exactly 30mph and risk drifting up to 31mph in an act of sheer lunacy, (particularly relevant this evening) aim to ride/drive between 25-30mph and your licence will remain unblemished, just try and ensure that you don't fall asleep whilst doing so.

Last edited: