Whatever next?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After the changes to the MOT rules there is a report on the Velo forum that an owner of a 1953 bike was required to have an MOT before he could be insured it was a small insurer that I have not heard of but it could be a trend...
My guess is rather that the subject 'have you had an MOT?' is more likely to be raised after the accident and would be fed into the compensation calculations:(
Assuming I can get a fair MOT which allows for the age of the machine I will get the regular bikes an annual one and the less regular ones every year or so. After all I have to keep the insurers aware of my mileage a fact that makes me smile with those that are pre war and legally have no speedo..

b'knighted

VOC Member
After the Budget and the economic forecast I found some good news for UK members
(Well it may be old hat) but
Rather than rumour and whispers "from a man who knew a man who spoke to a taker driver"
Finally a petrol company has come clean and given us a source of ethanol free petrol in writing
https://www.esso.co.uk/fuels-faqs Question five
Thank you,

B-gg-r - I normally buy my fuel in Devon.

vibrac

VOC Member
I read the following in Dealer news (the motorcycle traders mag)
Evidently when you reach 70 you get a form D46P to renew your licence it has questions for you to answer and it steers you towards on line entry.
however experience by users seem to indicate that when filling in on line cats C1 and D1 are removed from your licence when you get your new one. but sending back the form by snail mail retains them.
always loose your old licence somewhere in the house and also photostat it and keep copies.
This is typical of the DVLA over a month ago I sent off my V5c with supporting letters from BMW (that cost an arm and a leg) and a motorcycle shop to say the engine in my Difazio was not the one in the logbook they sent the letters back saying 'please fill in the V5C correctly where indicated' of course the V5c was not in the envelope. 1st phone call 'Oh we send it seperately wait a week' next phone call 'we still have it ring after xmas'. Again I copied the V5c before sending it ,sent it recorded delivery and kept a diary with names and times of my calls. But who do I complain to? and these are our servants we pay for....

vibrac

VOC Member
HERE IT IS!!
a definitive guide to 'substantial change' and the 40 year MOT and at first glance it seems a perfectly reasonable stance and BIG Ed can keep his disc brakes (I think)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

There is of course as always small print:
Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered further internationally
Can someone explain this in a post brexit environment?

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The 15% engine power increase restriction seems to have disappeared. I'm still trying to work out the engine part regarding the number of cylinders.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
HERE IT IS!!
a definitive guide to 'substantial change' and the 40 year MOT and at first glance it seems a perfectly reasonable stance and BIG Ed can keep his disc brakes (I think)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

There is of course as always small print:
Further arrangements for motorcycles may be introduced, including if core testing standards are considered further internationally
Can someone explain this in a post brexit environment?

Very interesting. The mud is starting to clear a bit.
As for post Brexit, they say all current laws are going to go into British law with no change and then things will be assessed on a case by case. I suspect 40 year old vehicles and MOT's will be a long way down the list to review so we will have to live with it.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Its going to probably mean for Norvin's, Tritons etc and probably Egli's as well that they will need compulsary MOT's. For more std Vincent's it is up to you as owner whther to MOT or not.