Whatever next?

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think most people with common sense use gloves when riding. Since authority workers don't believe that the citizens have any common sense, they invent new regulations to protect the public. Probably because they see so little common sense from their coworkers.
My favourite is the riders, usually on scooters, who wear flip-flops / thongs / jandals. You know, sandal sort of things with a strap between toes. I've seen people wearing them while riding superbikes. Put your foot down to steady the bike while riding, and you end up with the strap in the bones by your ankle, and the sole ripped off, etc.
When I learned to ride, the rule was be 100% covered whenever riding.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
My favourite is the riders, usually on scooters, who wear flip-flops / thongs / jandals. You know, sandal sort of things with a strap between toes. I've seen people wearing them while riding superbikes. Put your foot down to steady the bike while riding, and you end up with the strap in the bones by your ankle, and the sole ripped off, etc.
When I learned to ride, the rule was be 100% covered whenever riding.
Commonly referred to here as "squids". Don't know why, but when I saw one and someone said it as the "squid" went by I knew what he meant and it fit. What really makes me laugh is here you will see said squid riding in shorts, flip-flops, a wife beater/tank top/muscle shirt, and a full face helmet.o_O:confused: They will be riding well and truly over the limit weaving in and out of traffic, half the time front wheel elevated. I can only surmise they either want to "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse" or they promised they mom they would always wear a helmet when on a bike.
Steven

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
As Steven says, the term Squid is used in reference to an underdressed, (usually) young, inexperienced motorcyclist riding a sport bike in a reckless manner. The horsepower to skill ratio is way out of balance and said rider sometimes ends up on the pavement looking like a Squid; their bleeding tentacles of flesh hanging from a full face helmet. I've also heard that Squid came out of southern California surf lingo. A contraction of Squirrely Kid.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think that once you get into the "approved" classification a lot of people wouldn't like the styles available.
Very few of the bike jackets and trousers sold meet the EU/BS for motor cycle protective clothing, they are fashion wear.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think that once you get into the "approved" classification a lot of people wouldn't like the styles available.
Very few of the bike jackets and trousers sold meet the EU/BS for motor cycle protective clothing, they are fashion wear.
Yes but unlike gloves in France its not an offence (except good taste in some cases) to wear them

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I always wondered where the term "squid" came from. It really does fit, doesn't it. Occasionally I google "squid on a bike" or "squid on a motorcycle" out of morbid curiosity. Confirms why protective gear is good. ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
ATGATTWTBTTSU
Without The B*****s Trying To Shaft Us

Mark my words another slippery slope they will legislate on all our clothing next!
talk about shoving at open doors

Steve G

Non-VOC Member
Then there is the looming issue of the potential banning of motorcycles altogether once all of the cars are self-driving. . .

vibrac

VOC Member
I note that female rider in Norway has already been injured by an automatic car (BMF Rider magazine)
Having written a lot of software before I returned to engineering and knowing how long it takes to get all the wrinkles out. The rush to get the auto cars on the road is very worrying.
The government would love to nudge us on to robot cars (YOU know it makes sense) they must be made to realise sometimes its for the journey not the destination. After all if it were not so no-one would ride horses any more would they?
Do you support MAG or the BMF?