Whatever next?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I read in the VMCC mag that the French have made it illegal to ride a motorcycle without the (approved) gloves being worn.
How do these pen pushers get away with it? its obvious they are trying to make riding motorcycles as difficult as possible with as many intrusions on individual choice that they can dream up, and they don't really give a damm about riders hands.
I expect the rest of the EU sheep will follow.....
Well done MAG for bringing this up and good news that MAG and the BMF are starting to work together at last.
Only one question: where is the French MAG?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Gloves are the one thing I will not go without. When I was a teenager I had a crash(come a purler) as Dad would say, damaged leg and skinned both palms, couldn't hold the crutches. Kept me out of the boozer and housebound for weeks. Grumble, grumble. P S, no helmets then!

vibrac

VOC Member
I wasn't suggesting to ride without gloves, I am objecting to being told to do so (Its the same as the crash helmet argument) and having to wear what some Big Nanny pen pusher thinks are suitable. ie prescribed gloves that in their opinion will make me not enjoy my riding by just that little bit (Its that government nudge policy I was talking about a week or so ago).

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I do so enjoy the word "Approved" for from it a swarm of EU inspectors will be born plus manufacturers being given the opertunity to charge even more for the "EU approved" items. And lets not forget the increased government revenue if you are nicked for wearing 'non approved' stuff. It never ends. No wonder you chaps voted for BREXIT.

highbury731

VOC Member
Gloves are the one thing I will not go without. When I was a teenager I had a crash(come a purler) as Dad would say, damaged leg and skinned both palms, couldn't hold the crutches. Kept me out of the boozer and housebound for weeks. Grumble, grumble. P S, no helmets then!
I once came off at speed due to oil on the road, while cornering hard. By pushing my gloved hands hard into the road, I managed to avoid going under an on-coming lorry. Try doing that without gloves.....

vibrac

VOC Member
I
I once came off at speed due to oil on the road, while cornering hard. By pushing my gloved hands hard into the road, I managed to avoid going under an on-coming lorry. Try doing that without gloves.....
I repeat, no one is suggesting riding without gloves, read what MartynG says so much better that me. No wonder there are so many irresponsible people around they are never given any responsibility any more, Big Nanny does it all.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I wasn't suggesting to ride without gloves, I am objecting to being told to do so (Its the same as the crash helmet argument) and having to wear what some Big Nanny pen pusher thinks are suitable. ie prescribed gloves that in their opinion will make me not enjoy my riding by just that little bit (Its that government nudge policy I was talking about a week or so ago).
That's what folks here object to, being told "you must", "it's for your own good" etc. Those who favored mandatory helmets argued that it was to reduce health care costs. Stating it costs lots of money to help someone who has traumatic brain injury from riding without a helmet. After all those pesky bikers don't have insurance to pay for stuff. That didn't fly as everyone has mandatory insurance on their vehicles and it must include personal injury protection for the operator and passenger. In the '70s we had a mandatory 55 mph maximum national speed limit on all interstates. The federal gov't here coerced state gov'ts in implementing it use by withholding federal funds for road construction and repair. The money collected by states for licensing and fuel taxes is sent into the federal gov't and re-distributed to the state gov't. That changed when a couple of states challenged the feds by 1) withholding the money and using it to repair roads directly. 2) challenging the federal gov't in court whether it could withhold public funds that are used to maintain public infrastructure unless the public acquiesced to federal demands. The courts agreed with the states, you can't do it. Little Constitution law issue there. Powers not specifically given to the federal gov't rest with the state gov'ts. That opened the door for the repeal of mandatory helmet laws across the country. As Martyn states most of these requirements are not for my protection or benefit, they are to generate revenue for someone.
Again I would not suggest riding without proper attire but I object to having it mandated to me.
Steven

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
in the end its always your own choise, weather do or dont.
i always told my childeren to wear gloves too, even when cycling summertime to school, but knew they wouldnt do it. one however did.
the purpose of typing this text is just nice, being into the cold times... i think i will go on and on....
hibernating is also a good choise

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Bought a small petrol can the other day, plastic these days of course, but now the nozzle has a piece that selects between lock and unlock, but that's not all, the nozzle also has a tang that you have to rest on the tank, and use the weight of the petrol can to push the nozzle in, to finally open the passage way for the fuel to flow. Yikes. Time to hit the yard sales to find an old style can.

vibrac

VOC Member
The one thing the pen pushers have never heard of is the law of diminishing returns once you get eighty or ninety percent adherence to a practice the amount of effort and cost to achieve each subsequent increase is out of all proportion to the gains made.
To legislators however most people complying is a signal to force compulsion they think more paperwork & inspectors= more civil servants, fines= more money and lots more profit for notice board makers,equipment makers and ambulance chasers and they always do it after a campaign to achieve what has already been accomplished -"You know it makes sense", Yes we do leave us alone!