Whatever next?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A Boeing 747 doesn't have to deal with anything like the complexity of road situations I would estimate that is at least 2000 time more complex after all there is only one ground to worry about not 50 cars,pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists all at different speeds and directions all within 60 seconds distance. controlling a car or plane mechanically is the easy bit

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
ATGATTWTBTTSU
Without The B*****s Trying To Shaft Us

Mark my words another slippery slope they will legislate on all our clothing next!
talk about shoving at open doors
Undoubtedly it is a slippery slope. First helmets then gloves, boots, jackets and pants. The current plan is first mandate a standard for the armor and padding in the clothing, then the clothing material itself. If the masses don't see the benefit of adopting what is so obviously needed safety equipment, then mandate the wearing of only approved clothing, like gloves.....then follow with the remaining articles. Finally when they've made it nigh on impossible to ride because of the cost insurance, licensing, and peripherals, the margin for profit by manufactures will be diminished to the point where there isn't any and the market will cease to be. One more dangerous pass time consigned to the history books. Then to justify their continued existence the safetycrats will focus along with the environmentalist on.....rock climbing, wind surfing. They will never be satisfied.
Steven

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I note that female rider in Norway has already been injured by an automatic car (BMF Rider magazine)
Having written a lot of software before I returned to engineering and knowing how long it takes to get all the wrinkles out. The rush to get the auto cars on the road is very worrying.
The government would love to nudge us on to robot cars (YOU know it makes sense) they must be made to realise sometimes its for the journey not the destination. After all if it were not so no-one would ride horses any more would they?
Do you support MAG or the BMF?
I've been waiting for this to occur. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts this will be a rallying cry for the safetycrats. The new better technology is incompatible with outdated modes of transport. You can't expect the software developers to anticipate every random human action, it isn't possible. This needles accident can easily be avoided by banning the outmoded forms of transport that are so obviously needlessly dangerous and not to mention anti-social.
To answer your question Vibrac The American Motorcycle Association.
Steven

highbury731

VOC Member
The sensors for autonomous cars are designed to detect other vehicles with the same devices. That means that motorcycles will have to be equipped with similar devices to be detectable, and perhaps run the systems themselves. But there's another problem - any vehicle which predates these devices will presumably be invisible to them - and that includes our old motorcycles.

I had a ride in an E class Mercedes, and its owner showed off its headlamp technology. The radar and light sensors detected the presence of a vehicle ahead, and shaded the headlamps so that it avoided blitzing the vehicle with light. Our old bikes with non-reflective registration plates are invisible to these systems. Just a hint of things to come.....

Magnetoman

VOC Member
The sensors for autonomous cars are designed to detect other vehicles with the same devices. That means that motorcycles will have to be equipped with similar devices to be detectable, and perhaps run the systems themselves. But there's another problem - any vehicle which predates these devices will presumably be invisible to them - and that includes our old motorcycles.
If this were true, pedestrians wouldn't be long for this world. Nor little kids riding their bicycles in the street. Luckily, since the sensors have to be capable of detecting a single pedestrian in order to avoid hitting them, and the software capable of avoiding bicyclists, reports of the death of motorcycles are greatly exaggerated.

Autonomous vehicles got a big boost in the early '00s when DARPA announced their first Grand Challenge in the Mojave Desert to be run in 2004. I actually researched putting a team together to compete but it proved to require more time than I was able to devote so I back off. However, I've followed developments closely ever since.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Interesting, wonder how these cars will detect animals like moose, deer and boars. In my small country we has have 47000 reported road accidents involving these animals so far this year.