What Size is this banjo?

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
sway and oi 005.jpg
sway and oi 005.jpg Guys.This is my oil return line banjo on my comet.Can anyone tell me what size it is please? Have bought two now, and both incorrect.Sold as correct!I realise new they are supplied with line.Im not using standard lines.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The banjo bolt thread is 1/4 BSP so the thread is a little of 1/2 inch in diameter. The O.D. of the pipe leaving the actual banjo is either 5/16 or 3/8 inch. I can measure when I get home after work.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Please do yourself a favour and get some detailed information a copy of Know they beast has a list of most threads on a Vincent if you have a Vincent it's a must
A list of available documentation is available on Vincent spares web site help page and can be purchased from the Club shop that way the club gets some income

coomo

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks guys.I will rejoin when bikes finished.
Ok I purchased a 1/4 bsp.I was puzzled why it was different size.Then I just saw this in listing on ebay
Please note this assembly uses an M14 diameter banjo and the Bolt is stepped to 1/4BSP so the Bolt will not fit a normal BSP Banjo

Measuring the internal diameter of ORIGINAL banjo is .523 inch(13.29mm) The replacement is .577inch(14.66mm) therefore, there is some play when using original Vincent Banjo bolt!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Thanks guys.I will rejoin when bikes finished.
Ok I purchased a 1/4 bsp.I was puzzled why it was different size.Then I just saw this in listing on ebay
Please note this assembly uses an M14 diameter banjo and the Bolt is stepped to 1/4BSP so the Bolt will not fit a normal BSP Banjo

Measuring the internal diameter of ORIGINAL banjo is .523 inch(13.29mm) The replacement is .577inch(14.66mm) therefore, there is some play when using original Vincent Banjo bolt!
Rejoin the VOC NOW and get the benefit of full access to the technical data now. May be a great help with your restoration work - will also get you a discount on parts from the VOC Spares Co. who can supply the correct parts.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Just buy the A48 banjo from the VOC Spares Company; it will fit your 1/4 BSP Banjo bolt (19tpi, 0.518" dia) in your photo, then modify the tail to suit whatever non-standard lines you are using.

Better still, just keep it standard!

The item you are looking at on ebay is a complete mish-mash of metric and imperial measurements and is completely unworkable - as you have found.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-BSP-...839518?hash=item5b538e021e:g:KMYAAOSwB45anRh4

And yes, join the VOC before your rebuild and get constant practical advice/assistance from a great bunch of guys and gals.

Peter B