What oil to put in the gearbox?

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
gear box oil

Hi all,
Roger and i have used ep 80/90 oils for many years with no problems as have many other vincent owners that i know of.
As for the correct oil level, why not make a tailor made dip stick for your machine that will show you the correct level every time, and not leave you wondering how much oil you have left in the gear box every time the oil disapears of the end of the dip stick.
stumpy.
P.S. Stumpy had a good birthday and say thank to all his fans!!!!!

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi all,
Roger and i have used ep 80/90 oils for many years with no problems as have many other vincent owners that i know of.
As for the correct oil level, why not make a tailor made dip stick for your machine that will show you the correct level every time, and not leave you wondering how much oil you have left in the gear box every time the oil disapears of the end of the dip stick.
stumpy.
P.S. Stumpy had a good birthday and say thank to all his fans!!!!!
Hi Norman,

I tried that but with all that oil around the sellotape wouldn't hold the two bits together and the bottom fell off into the gearbox!!

Cheers.

Stuart

A_HRD

VOC Member
Stuart/Simon,

For what its worth, I just checked the Castrol 'Manual EP80W' and the Castrol 'Manual EP80W-90' containers that I have, and both are to GL4 spec.

But you should know better Stuart ;-) both GL4 and GL5 attack sellotape....!

Regards,

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Gearbox oil

Thanks for the (unwelcome) information about GL4 and GL5. I have 7 litres of EP90, for a Guzzi. I wanted a litre, bought eight by mistake mail-order from Fuchs. Oh well, it's cheap in bulk......... And yep, it's GL5..........bugger!

Modern EP90 is about SAE 40 viscosity, there was a discussion on this topic on jtan a while back.

And if anyone wants a new sealed 4 litre can of EP90 to GL5, plus a 3/4 full open one, just call.....

john998

VOC Member
Gear box oil

Just checked the oil in the outfit, yep its GL5. Have drained it, but it's off the road this year and I will be thinking about the oil in the hollow shaft till next summer! John.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Just for clarification , EP , which is abbreviated form Extreme Pressure , oil is not required in spur gear transmissions. EP oils are intended for transmissions included bevel or spiral bevel gears as used in for example , differentials. Normal engine oil is fine for Vincent 'boxes , I would recommend 15-40. Witness to this is the fact that the majority of Motorcycles these days use their engine oil to lube the gearbox too , albeit of non friction mofied type to prevent the clutch from slipping !! Slightly better though , for Vincent or any other non unit gearbox type bikes , would be a transmission type oil. This is due to the fact that the additives in such an oil are designed to better protect this type of box due to the lower operating temp and the fact it is not multi grade so cannot shear down , Penrite have this type of product in their range.

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
It's a bit heavy , but should be ok , apart from winter !! Also , drag will b high. Which brand is it ?
I've drained and re-filled with 2 pints of EP80/90 just to the very bottom of the dipstick.

Engine this time (third fill running in) with 20/50.

Felt great on the first 50 mile run yesterday - I'll keep the Forum posted on how I get on.

Stuart