What is the best engine oil for a Rapide?

D

dave1949

I am currently restoring a Series C Rapide which has been off the road for several years. Is there any general consensus about what is the best type of modern engine oil to use, e.g. single grade or multigrade, detergent or non-detergent, etc.? The bike has new low-expansion pistons and Alpha big end. I have a modern bike for winter/general purpose use, so the Rapide will mostly be used for longish runs April-October.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am currently restoring a Series C Rapide which has been off the road for several years. Is there any general consensus about what is the best type of modern engine oil to use, e.g. single grade or multigrade, detergent or non-detergent, etc.? The bike has new low-expansion pistons and Alpha big end. I have a modern bike for winter/general purpose use, so the Rapide will mostly be used for longish runs April-October.

Hi Dave

Just have a root around this forum's threads, there are more opinions on oil than anything else.

Best of luck.

H

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Dave,
Howard is absolutely right. You have asked a question that dozens of people will have a different answer to. (There will no doubt be numerous replies to this thread saying I've used "XYZ" brand for tears and it is the best. ;-) )

The ubiquitous "Oil Thread", "Tyre Thread" etc. is to be found on virtually every motor cycle /car forum.

You are dealing with an old low tech engine so for normal road use any recognisable branded oil, changed at suitable intervals, will be more than adequate. As a generalisation you may find it advantageous to run a multi-grade oil rather than a mono-grade as multi-grade is available at any most garages/filling stations should you be out on a trip and find you are low on oil.

Hi Dave

Just have a root around this forum's threads, there are more opinions on oil than anything else.

Best of luck.

H

D

dave1949

Dear Dave,
Howard is absolutely right. You have asked a question that dozens of people will have a different answer to. (There will no doubt be numerous replies to this thread saying I've used "XYZ" brand for tears and it is the best. ;-) )

The ubiquitous "Oil Thread", "Tyre Thread" etc. is to be found on virtually every motor cycle /car forum.

You are dealing with an old low tech engine so for normal road use any recognisable branded oil, changed at suitable intervals, will be more than adequate. As a generalisation you may find it advantageous to run a multi-grade oil rather than a mono-grade as multi-grade is available at any most garages/filling stations should you be out on a trip and find you are low on oil.

Thanks for all comments. As Big Ed says, there probably isn't any consensus, and the exact type probably isn't critical as long as it is changed frequently.
Dave.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I would expect that any vehicle user would check their oil level occasionally. The oil top up interval will vary from engine to engine. The same regime applies to tyre pressures, fuel level, etc and is a basic motoring exercise. Owners who use their vehicles soon get to know what the average checking interval will be.
Don't you mean "so long as the level in the tank" is checked regularly?