What is jtan?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The title says it all: What is it?

Jtan was or is an email subscriber list. The emails were sent to all of those who subscribed. These email subscriber lists usually involve a group of folks with a common interest. The common interest of the subscriber list known here as "jtan" was either: "Severe Personality Disorders" or "Vincent Motorcycles." The jury is still out.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
That's one of the best lines I've read/heard in a long time, kudos David.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Jtan was or is an email subscriber list. The emails were sent to all of those who subscribed. These email subscriber lists usually involve a group of folks with a common interest. The common interest of the subscriber list known here as "jtan" was either: "Severe Personality Disorders" or "Vincent Motorcycles." The jury is still out.

David

Why not a mix of both? Are any of us really right in the head?:)

Cheers,
Eric
Yea from Jtan

Albervin

VOC Member
Eric, there is a saying in England, " I am eccentric but he is stark raving bonkers" or words to that effect. In Australia we say someone has a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. While most of us can be accused of having the occasional loose Kangaroo (or wallaby) there are some who seem to have a whole mob loose!

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric, there is a saying in England, " I am eccentric but he is stark raving bonkers" or words to that effect. In Australia we say someone has a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. While most of us can be accused of having the occasional loose Kangaroo (or wallaby) there are some who seem to have a whole mob loose!

HI Alyn,

Agreed it is an interesting bunch but by and large they are a grand group of people with only a few needing tending, now and again. Please do not judge all of the Jtan community by the behavior of just a few...Some of us are ok and I hear some of you are also ok..:)

Be well and enjoy the Summer just watch out for some of the crazy police actions against motorcycles in a few of the Aussy territories !

Eric

vibrac

VOC Member
J**n was around before this forum (and the forum on the old voc.uk site) and I have saved many of the e-mails that contained good nuggets of information. It only has one moderator who owns and uses the off switch if he decides its getting out of line.
I think its most amazing feature is the number of times that some people send in "unsubscribe" and "this is my last post" messages and then creep back in weeks and months later and hope they are not noticed.
Nowadays it may be on the wane but you can never tell though it certainly is now more US biased than it was. many of the pleas for help are echoed here and vice versa.
If I refer to it I have used the phrase that the UK house of commons have for the house of Lords "the other place"

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Jtan was the first online resource that I was pointed to when I bought a Vincent. There were many big beasts on the list and on the whole they were helpful and supportive, that said it can be a little rough on the know nothing new boys, but that is probably the way of old men to youth everywhere.

It can and occasionally does degenerate into a bar room brawl at which point Doug turns it off for a week or so, when it reappears the miscreants all apologise and promise to be on their best behaviour.

When I was working in America, I posted to ask if any Jtanners live near by, Doug did and came over for a drink one evening, it was only a 2 hour trip each way.

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Speaking of JTan - it seems to have gone dead. Have I missed something from Doug or does the 'tarpit' error I am seeing on my undelivered mail mean that the email setup has gone wrong?

Ducdude

VOC Member
The JTAN servers have a bad case of the downs and are being fixed...This is affecting all JTAN mail lists not just the Vin list.... The best ETR I can get is after Apr 15 2014

Eric