What have I done???

Shawn Lamb

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
DSC02227..jpgDSC02226..jpg

Dreams of Ogri.. Or I just purchased this "white elephant"!!

Coming home (back to England) is this Vincent. I hope to open these pics up to anyone who can recommend sources for missing parts and sources of information. The tank is around but seat and obviously a lot of other bits are AWOL.

I am open to ideas (keep it a racer?) to recommendations on available services (feel free to solicit). Thougths on the "correct" rear hub? This is a triumph conical unit. Seat ideas.. Speculate on history?

Engine condition is unknown. Thanks to the club, I have been told it is a 48 Rapide. Previous owner remembers taking it to Lightning specs years ago. Should I de-tune for the road? Should I take the horrible black paint off or repaint satin after rebuild? This procedure is out of my skillset.

Comments/contact are welcome.

Bike is expected to be in the UK in late April early May.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would imagine you had an idea of where you wanted to go when you decided to buy this project. Now you have to decide on whether you have realistic & realisable goals. Before you lift a finger or spend another penny you need to know exactly what you have got. There are probably some people not too far away from where you live who can give you an unbiased report BUT it will be you who has to make the final decision(s). Whichever road you go down it won't be cheap, just less or more expensive.... The Egli can be as individual as you. Good luck.
This is Mr Egli with one of his creations.

Attachments

• DSC00251..jpg
    DSC00251..jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 71

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Wow !! What a find !! What a project !! My option would be to get it on the road as a Cafe racer !! Any carbs with it ? First thing you need to do is verify the spec and condition of the engine , I would not be inclined to rely on the owners version !! Parts won't be an issue , almost everything is available to the extent of having a choice on most parts. Welcome to the club BTW , and great to see a new member with a machine new to the club !

Albervin

VOC Member
Mmmmmm, unless the web site is till in "delay" mode, Shawn is a non member. This is something he may need to consider (if not already done). I guess I need to say up front that if that is his real name he would be called "Chopsy" in Australia (Lamb chops?).
No disrespect intended. As I said earlier, there are lots of possibilities with this but most depend on the thickness of the wallet.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Ooops , have to admit I assumed before checking he was a member !! Never mind , he is still a new member to the Vincent community though , although I strongly agree he should formally join the club with a project like that !!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Shawn, A few years ago I would have loved to have that challenge, You have all the big bits you need. Don't worry too much about the tune of the engine, The Lightning was not too hot,I have been running L/ning spec' engines for 40yrs on the road. I have found the carb's may be the only problem. If you do a lot of traffic work 28 or 30mm carb's might be better, you don't show what you have. I have just took T.T. carb's off one of my bikes and put 28mm concentrics Mk1, Because I now live where speeds are slow, It is nice to have a tickover and the standard clutch works better, But the bike still go's like stink !!. Good Luck Bill.

Shawn Lamb

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I see a number of bikes that do not have kick starters.. Do the "electric legs" work well? Who has installed them? If someone would like to make rebuilder suggestions offline, I would appreciate it. Does the "Spares Comany" offer rebuild service (the Matchless OC does, reason for ask). Do Lectron carbs work well? I had seen a few on sporty Vincents.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Rebuilding wise , wait for your first copy of the club mag , MPH , there are a number of companies and individuals advertising their services in there. Engine tune can be whatever you want. When you decide how much performance you want then the necessary parts will be apparent. 80 BHP is easy for example ! Going for that much power would require commensurately powerful brakes , and so on.There are many solutions for ignition and generator systems depending on personal choice & preferences. The options are almost endless so you need to decide what style of machine you want to narrow down the list.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
HI,
the electric start manufactured by francois Grosset is so good that Patrick goddet do,s not fit kickstarts to his egli twins ,just Francois electric start. Both my son Roger and I have them fitted to our Twins and would not be with out them. How ever I should point out, that for them to work properly you have got to sort out both the ignition timing and carberation,as the electric starter will not sort out a bad starting machine, not to do so will risk breaking the shear pin or even the sprag clutch.
hope this helps.
stumpy lord.