E: Engine What Carburettor are you using on your racing Comet?

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David, I'll use the same 1034 concentric on my road going 600 Comet project.
Can you help with jetting datas if you can remember the details?
Thanks.

davidd

VOC Member
Eric,

I would be happy to. I will have to look it up and check with David to see what he changed during the dyno runs.

David

D

Deleted member 3831

Which is Egli Type !. Cheers Bill.

The Egli Comet is a development where money is not a problem. Current machines are using the Gardener carburettor at a severely down draft angle, in keeping with the general angle of the port. I do not know the exact size, but Patrick Godet used a similar instrument of 40 mm diameter for his Grey Flash racer.
The picture is of the Egli Comet at the 2019 Classic TT View attachment 28899

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Which is Egli Type !. Cheers Bill.

The Egli Comet is a development where money is not a problem. Current machines are using the Gardener carburettor at a severely down draft angle, in keeping with the general angle of the port. I do not know the exact size, but Patrick Godet used a similar instrument of 40 mm diameter for his Grey Flash racer.
The picture is of the Egli Comet at the 2019 Classic TT View attachment 28899
Sorry, I should have used more words, Mine was a reply to TimeTrav',
But Nulli got in a reply before me, So mine did not make much sense.
Ben's Bike is an Egli type, I don't think he wants to spend too much,
He had a problem with the running last year.
I think he just wants to do small stuff , Like Hill Climbs etc,
And I think he is still looking for a Chopped Twin Engine. Cheers Bill.

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the information and pictures (davidd).
I barely touched the bike for several months except for the odd start up. About a month ago I pulled the cover off and thought I’m going to give it another go. It started well but did the same jumpy lurching at 1/8-1/4 throttle but seemingly fine everywhere else. I dropped the size of the needle jet and it seemed slightly better but still jerky. I decided it was time to file the slide to try and lean it a little more (now running below standard specs speaking with eurocarb for a similar sized engine?) So I took it down about .5mm and assembled with great anticipation. Well it ran terribly again. I must have had it apart with different set ups 10 times.
I telephone the rolling road tuner and yet again no call back as promised. I was really hoping to get it sorted.
So I’ve actually got a Amal R2036 I’m hoping you have some setup info davidd please?
It’s pretty good shape with a 280 main and 120A needle jet but I’m missing a needle.
I’m going to get this thing going better, hopefully.
Thanks again all.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Ben, It's hard to use the right words sometimes.
I think you are going for Mk1, Which is fine, I have found the settings on the site I sent you very good to start with, But I like, And am playing with Mk2s now.
The only thing is, With the Mk2, If you are a size too weak on the slide, It's like an OFF switch !.
And the pilot jet and screw , Has a bigger effect for higher up the rev's, So if it's a bit rich, You can trim back a bit on the pilot.
2 other people have put in print the same as I have found.
If you use the Mk1, Be sure it already has the slot in the float bowl by the float needle,
So soon as the float needle lifts, The petrol comes out the side,
There is a bit about doing that mod', In the web site I sent you.
Good luck, Bill.