What business entity was this?

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
One of my many Spares Lists has this cover and title page. What business had a Birmingham address?

Cover.JPG
Title.JPG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes its Matt Holder who son David still sells spares under the Velocette name.
I believe Matt Holder bought the remains of the Vincent company from Harpers sometime in the 1970's.

delboy

VOC Member
Yes its Matt Holder who son David still sells spares under the Velocette name.
I believe Matt Holder bought the remains of the Vincent company from Harpers sometime in the 1970's.
If memory serves, I think Matt bought remaining parts, tooling and drawings from Cope Allman [who owned Harpers] because the club was a bit slow off the mark.
The Vincent Company did not exist so he did not buy the Vincent company. Also he did not buy "the Vincent name"[in motor parts catagory], trademarks or logos. Even the original Vincent factory did not seem to have registered trade marks or logos.
If memory serves, David did register the word "Vincent" in motor parts catagory sometime in the eighties.
I was at the AGM sometime before that, where Jane Greaves [She of Jolly Thresher garage fame; the Club's spares scheme at the time] pointed out that the Vincent "name" was available to register, but nobody seemed bothered back then.
Regards, Delboy.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks, I suspected that. Unfortunately, my fathers earliest Spares List sat upright on a shelf and the bottom edge absorbed some acidic chemical and deteriorated. One of the others I have says Harpers. Nice to know how to track them over time.