What BSF & BSW Tools are needed?

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All,

I am starting down the path of bringing back a 52 Vincent from years of slumber and abuse and I would like to know what type of hand tools will be required?

I have a pretty complete set of both Metric and "English" aka "inch or imperial" sized craftsman and Snap on tools. I believe I may need a few more sizes to mate up to the Whitworth/BSF fasteners?

I would welcome your input for suggestions as far as what PROPER tools are needed to undertake the monumental task at hand and where would be a good place to purchase them in the US.

It never pays to skimp on tools so if I would be better off with "specialty" tools I would like to hear what the list suggests.

On a related note, the bike in questions as no on board stock tool kit...Where would be a good place to source a set of stock tools to fill the bike's tool caddy in the USA if possible.

Thanks,
Duc

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Original tools are pretty rare. It would be effective to buy modern tools to duplicate the stock items. As you work on it more, you will find your own special needs and buy accordingly.
I have had my wrenches a while and don't know the current suppliers.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have a complete set of 3/8 whitworth sockets, a set of open/box end and a set of combination open end. The exhaust pipe wrench and inspection cap wrench are available through the VOC spares, Kemp, and Coventry Spares to list only a few. Most older piston engine aircraft engines use Whitworth and those mechanics loved Snap-On whitworth wrenches - an ad on Craigs list or its equivalent might scare something out of the woodwork in your area. A few sizes of whitworth helicoil inserts will come in handy eventually.

Don Morris

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eddie Stevens book "Know Thy Beast" has a comprehensive list of the sizes of threads used on a Vincent and would prove useful to you.

I agree with Collingsbob that 3/8 drive sockets will cope with most requirements, with a good 1/2 drive for the engine sprocket. Open ended and ring spanners are most used, and box spanners are also useful, I can't help with suppliers outside the UK I'm afraid anyway best of luck. I would suggest that you don't go down the route of obtaining 'original spanners', you will waste time and money!

Albervin

VOC Member
Dude, does this mean you have bought it? A complete original set of Vincent tools can be bought on e-bay from "Enjoyinvest". He convinced elderly & naive people to part with their tools for a pittance then listed them on e-bay. Two years ago he was getting nearly $3,000 for a set but now they are closer to $2,000. He was rightly kicked out of the club for his underhanded behaviour. Most of the original tools are not well made & are mainly used for display purposes at concours events. You will need a couple of some sizes so you can grip each end of studs. Keep asking questions.....

Ducdude

VOC Member
Dude, does this mean you have bought it? A complete original set of Vincent tools can be bought on e-bay from "Enjoyinvest".Most of the original tools are not well made & are mainly used for display purposes at concours events. You will need a couple of some sizes so you can grip each end of studs. Keep asking questions.....

Albervin, The wheels are a turning.. I made an offer on the bike and the agent is talking to the owner to see if it is accepted... I think the owner is thinking auction and I am working the idea that he could save the 20% and no muss of fuss selling it to me for the same amount of cash in his hand with no fees. I want to try to know going in how much I will have to spend to get the shop ready for the bike just in case, manuals, handbooks, guides, part list, etc.. If I get this Shadow or not one day sooner or later I will get a Rapide or a shadow or a .....So, all this data has been great!

Right now I am trying to figure out if the Kick start lever and assorted hardware can be sourced anywhere....many key pieces seem to be NLA...I have to keep telling myself to relax and stop working on a bike I do not yet own...But I am having fun....My last resto was a 72 BMW R75/5 and I am itching to start another....

My membership has been approved and I have my number so I am ready to go..

Thanks for the lead on tools I am in a big holding pattern at present.....Till I hear...Then if successful the real questions will start up. Shyness is not a trait I have ever mastered..:)

Cheers and appreciation,
Duc

Ducdude

VOC Member
I have a complete set of 3/8 whitworth sockets, a set of open/box end and a set of combination open end. The exhaust pipe wrench and inspection cap wrench are available Most older piston engine aircraft engines use Whitworth and those mechanics loved Snap-On whitworth wrenches - an ad on Craigs list or its equivalent might scare something out of the woodwork in your area. A few sizes of whitworth helicoil inserts will come in handy eventually.

Thanks for the tips!

Duc

Riggles

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ducdude, arm yourself with a list of threads (sizes) from "Know Thy Beast" & start wandering around the swap meets. I got all the spanners, sockets, taps & dies in 2 years. Ebay is also pretty handy for BSW/BSF spanners.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Thanks Riggles,

I will have a go at the ebay and other email lists to see what is out there for tooling.. However, you know buying new tools for the shop can be almost as fun as buying old Vincents from the barn..Well almost..:) I am a bit of a tool nut..

Hooroo,

Duc

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I have been collecting whitworth tools for many years because in Australia no one makes them anymore.Google Lawson H I S for a reliable uk supplier of King Dick brand 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets as well as ring and open end spanners.A useful extra is a 1/4" W obstruction spanner which you can usually pick up on GREEDYbay.Iwould offer to sell you some good Australian Sidchrome spanners but the postage would be farcical.Some American manufacturers made good Whitworth stuff until the 60's when some dumbass accountants confused productive capacity with "commodity"