wetblasting alloy parts

van Ginneke

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, a while back in one of the MPH's I read that someone was experimenting with wetblasting. Is he on the net?
I have started wetblasting last week with a Vapormatt cabinet and it works really well on alloy parts.
Anyone out there that has some knowledge about this kind of cleaning?
It brings out parts like they are newly cast, without any damage to the surface. Not like dry glassbead blasting at all.
But cleaning off old oil & grease residue takes some time, any suggestions are welcome!

regards, Vincent, Netherlands.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Clean off as much of the old oil and grease first. This will also reduce the amount of contamination of the blasting solution.

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
wetblasting -vapour blasting- alloy parts

Hi Ogrilp (...) Yes that's the obvious thing! What I am searching for is ways to get this old stuff off in a decent manner.
Using agressive solvents is very 20th century, I am now on the track of solvables that work with bacteries that eat the oil, but there are differences and ofcourse every company that sells these claims to have the best.
I just re-found the article where it was mentioned that a member was using vapour blasting on crankcases, april 2009 (issue723).
Tom Gayner wrote about Dan Thompson -page 74, Scotland-
Is he on the site?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Vapour beadblasting is the only method I use for anything apart from parts that will be painted.
To degrease use hand cleanser that is intended to remove oil from the hands. For heavy deposits there are environmentally friendly degreasers available.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
wetblasting

Methylated spirit will remove"horrible hermetite", as for the carbonised oil Nitromors paint stripper ,its very useful for decokes too.