Western Canada

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The news over here regarding land slides etc in Western Canada suggests that some of our members might be in trouble. Any new guys?

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
The ground is wet and soggy, our creek ran about 10 inches high over the top of the dam and about 20 feet wide. Lucky that did it not wash out, things are back to normal today and there seems to be very little damage. We got off lightly but much of BC and Washington did not. Beautiful sunny day here today so I took the Triumph out for a cold romp.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I spoke briefly with a couple of members yesterday and one had water up to his axles, but things were more or less under control. Wait for the level to drop and then move them to higher ground. However that was yesterday and water is still rising in some areas… spilling north across the border. Hopefully everyone is ok. Robert was just fine and was counting salmon yesterday which is good because we couldn’t get to him if things were going south. It’s a bit of a mess in some areas and getting to folk that need help is an issue. Herding livestock with boats and extracting folk with helicopters.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
We are fine, but lots of areas in the Vancouver area are flooded. There are no roads open through the coast mountains to the interior of the province. They hope to have the southern most one open in a week Hwy 3 and the coquilhalla which is the main highway they haven't got a handle on yet but the gov is talking about possibly months. People have been starnded all over the place, stuck on highways between slides or washouts. Absolute massive rainfall for about 36 hours, Looked just like The storm on Coronation street a couple of weeks ago!

We have a small creek about 300 ft north of the house and about 75 feet downhill so no issues, About 10 years the Corgi came out of the bush and had salmon hanging out of both sides of her mouth and looking VERY pleased with herself. We put it down to one probably dropped by and eagle or an owl, then 5 years ago Kathy was walking down by the creek and went to investigate a noise which turned out to be 2 coho salmon spawning. We were like OMG (to quote the young of today). The next year there were 5. Then three years with nothing. Then the rains came last weekend and the creeks are just boiling along being creeks. So yesterday evening son-in-law and grand daughter going exploring and lo and behold, there are salmon everywhere. at a minimum16 and likely 20 or so along about 300 feet of creek. This morning a couple of bald eagles cruising the creek waiting the dinner to be served.

Salmon1 Nov 2021.jpg
Salmon2Nov2021.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I live more or less at sea level in Richmond, just across the Fraser River from Vancouver. My shed was flooded and the Vincent was up to the axles in water. I am going to move some of my bikes to work where it is higher, probably this weekend. The shed has drained now. I think this flooding might happen again this winter. I have sold this place after living here for 30 years partly because for the last three years we have had flooding problems. The buyer is going to fill the land in and use it as a truck parking lot. The rain storms are becoming more severe every year. I think it is because the air is warmer. It has always rained a lot in Vancouver but the winter storms are getting worse. It is drier in the summers now than it used to be. The annual rainfall is about the same as it always was, but the storms can bring 200mm of rain in a 48 hour period. I bought a new house on a hill, with a nice big garage.