Well Sorn me!

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I missed this titbit somehow
http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20111215/

This is the bit I missed:

Improving the regulation surrounding the notification process for vehicles that are not in use on the road (Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN). Once drivers have notified the DVLA that their vehicle is SORN, they will no longer have the burden of annual SORN renewal.

I suppose every one else knew....

b'knighted

VOC Member
I got a couple of sorn renewals in the post this week, so when does this come into effect?

Bottom right of the V11 gives taxing options and does now state "From 18th November 2012 vehicles manufactured or registered before 1 January 1960 will no longer need an MoT." so it is now official.

vibrac

VOC Member
Your right b'knighted, thinking about it have I had reminders too
on the other hand when putting a bike back on the road in october and doing the tax I was shocked when I saw I had not renewed my SORN for a year!
I have received no brown envelope with a fine (yet)
there must be some conformation on this somewhere.....

vibrac

VOC Member
more on this from my MCC (The motorcycling Club) newsletter re end of annual SORN renewal
" I can find nothing on the DVLA website to verify this. The form to download to declare SORN states it only lasts for 12 months. The link provided to a press release last November appears to be a proposal and does not say when the change is to be implemented. My SORN made in May this year shows a renewal date of May 2013. I would advise against accepting that renewal is unnecessary until you receive official confirmation."

Once again we are left in the dark. These DVLA jobs worths are past understanding, have they no communication skills? do the BMF or BFHVC themselves know?

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not giving up on this one

Letter to my MP

On the 15 December 2011 Justine Greening made a grand announcement about slashing red tape one of the statements was.

Improving the regulation surrounding the notification process for vehicles that are not in use on the road (Statutory Off Road Notification or SORN). Once drivers have notified the DVLA that their vehicle is SORN, they will no longer have the burden of annual SORN renewal.

My question is simple. When will this be implemented is 14 months not sufficient?

Every year for the 10 years my vehicle has been waiting restoration I get a SORN postal reminder 10 days before I can do anything about it (time enough for it to be lost in every day post) and when I renew SORN I get another letter telling me its done Since SORN generates no revenue my guess is that the DVLA gets more from fines than it looses in postage but is that anyway to treat a citizen?
The real idiocy of the whole process is that another vehicle I have that has been waiting since before SORN with a valid red V5c attracts no attention from the DVLA at all.

Please Sir ask the question

I will of course let you all know when I get a reply

Colin

VOC Member
The DVLA together with HM Revenue & Customs ( and you can now probably add in The Border Agency and my local District Council ) are , without doubt the most inefficient organisations it is my misfortune to have to deal with. I doubt we will get a straightforward answer very soon, so don't hold your breath

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
Now there is no need to have an MOT, so long as the machine is insured, you can take it off SORN and get a tax disc so that as soon as you are ready to get it back on the road no need to wait for the paperwork.
Ian S

nkt267

VOC Member
An obvious plan, but it will still not stop the moaners.......
You mean that I will HAVE to go online and click a few BUTTONS to get my FREE tax disc.. Can't someone do this for me????? John

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not giving up on this one

Letter to my MP

On the 15 December 2011 Justine Greening made a grand announcement about slashing red tape one of the statements was.

My question is simple. When will this be implemented is 14 months not sufficient?

Every year for the 10 years my vehicle has been waiting restoration I get a SORN postal reminder 10 days before I can do anything about it (time enough for it to be lost in every day post) and when I renew SORN I get another letter telling me its done Since SORN generates no revenue my guess is that the DVLA gets more from fines than it looses in postage but is that anyway to treat a citizen?
The real idiocy of the whole process is that another vehicle I have that has been waiting since before SORN with a valid red V5c attracts no attention from the DVLA at all.

Please Sir ask the question

I will of course let you all know when I get a reply

UPDATE: He is "looking into it"