Well Sorn me!

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Today I received an envelope from DVLA containing V11s for SORN renewal on a car and road fund licence renewal on the Knight. Both done on line without problem although I did get through the first tax renewal screen, before putting in the Knight details, by confirming all that the screen asked for including current MoT. Non-existent Mot was then checked on line and found to be satisfactory.

vibrac

VOC Member
Another DVLA story
The Exeter Trial runs in January its getting too cold for me on a bike so as the wife is a better driver than me I bought a car for wife to drive and me to navigate. The tax had run out in November I purchased it end March and since I had some work to do on it and knowing the DVLA I sorned it by enclosing a V890 with the green slip (this is a method suggested by them) I also posted off the same time the old V5c which the previous owner had signed (much the safest way if you can that way you know the previous owner has not forgotten to send it back)
a week or so I get the V5 back in my name what an efficent lot they are....
BUT
2 weeks later I get a letter from the DVLA enclosing my V890 stating I am not the keeper of the car so I cant SORN it
can I either pass them the V5c filled in with the changes and a V890 or if I havent fill in a V62 with a fee and a V890

blow that for a game of soldiers say I so I go on line and using my V5c declare SORN of course I get a stern warning that I may still be procecuted for keeping a vehicle without SORN since I purchased it ... fun aint it?

vibrac

VOC Member
Not quite SORN but still DVLA
As the big 70 looms for a lot of people I read in an old copy of BMF Rider that if you enclose an SAE with your driving licence renewal and ask, the old licence will be returned with a hole in it.
You dont want to loose that bike licence entitlement and a licence is the only proof they will accept (catch 22?)

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Not quite SORN but still DVLA
As the big 70 looms for a lot of people I read in an old copy of BMF Rider that if you enclose an SAE with your driving licence renewal and ask, the old licence will be returned with a hole in it.
You dont want to loose that bike licence entitlement and a licence is the only proof they will accept (catch 22?)

I e:mailed the DVLA and asked what entitlements they had on their system under my name. I had a reply to say that they would not send the information by e:mail but if i would like to ring a particular no or write to them they would then provide the details. I rang and after giving a few details including licence no they gave me which in my case was the good news.
They also said send a SAE and note asking for the return of the old licence. If anyone is interested i can dig out the direct phone no for that dept.

vibrac

VOC Member
It must be the years I spent with logic diagrams and programs combined with a reasonable stable of bikes that keeps me finding holes in the SORN system
Here is another
Small trail bike 6 weeks tax left insurance runs out so I SORN it (otherwise I have committed a heinous crime and will be fined the legendry fine of 1K) minisule tax cant be reclaimed not a problem. 15 days before tax runs out get the nag letter to tax or SORN (clearly missing logic IF ALREADY SORNED THEN DONT SEND) anyway just checking that I am sorned (not that I dont trust the rickety system :) I enter the 16 digit sorn reminder number .the system says I have entered the wrong number check 16 digits (always fun) and again 'wrong number', it damm well is not, its another "already sorned" check missing. But to allay my fears I get out the V5 enter reg number and V5 check number bingo already SORNED. they could not program a pop up toaster but they sure can levy fines

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah ha!
If you want to fall asleep try reading the spreadsheet containing all the red tape removal regulations
sounds great, but mostly they are scrapped because an even thicker set of regulations have been passed by the unelected dictators in Europe that now take precedent. also some scraped are laws about trading with the 'enemy' (1939-45) war!
but there are a few consessions that we can enjoy
It seems that from December last we no longer will be getting SORN reminders each year
soon they will scrap the paper counterpart of the driving licence
and soon you wont be asked to send your old insurance certificate back if you end it before it runs to the stated date
they also scrapped loads of motorcycle noise testing regulations -but I don't think that makes using that broom handle up the pipe to move the baffels legal yet

vibrac

VOC Member
Oh and one more wrinkle
Gone the " and Its got 11 months tax" when you sell a vehicle the next owner must re-tax or sorn. Tax will not be able to be transfered, because with no tax disk the seller could (and will) cash the tax in.

vibrac

VOC Member
Now the above item is almost with us
Here is the senario
I go to pick up a new bike car tractor whatever without trailer by train bus etc in Cornwall or wherever
Now I buy it,( I fixed up insurance to start today earlier) owner gave me green ticket off the V5 -owner cannot transfer tax, How can I legally drive it home without tax?
only way I can think of is to book an MOT
PS. location has no mobile signal (and urban readers don't laugh at home I have to walk a fair way to get a signal-and not everyone does digital)

A_HRD

VOC Member
Go for a ride on the bike with the owner's permission (on your own insurance). When you get home, ring up the owner and say "I like this bike so much I'd like to buy it from you". Do the paperwork via snail-mail….

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series A Front Frame.

A_HRD

VOC Member
For those who are interested, I just found this link ref how to buy a second hand vehicle privately (from 1 Oct 14).

http://www.confused.com/car-insuran...m_campaign=NewsletterMR&utm_source=Newsletter

When the seller gives you the green slip off the V5C logbook, you can get straight on your iPhone/Tablet and pay for the tax online on the DVLA website and ride away (assuming your insurance is also in place).

Note though that the DVLA takes double tax for the month in which the transaction takes place!! (The Great British Rip-Off is alive and well).

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series A Front Frame.