Welcome to new forum website member, Walkem Special

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Walkem Special - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Walkem Special

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Walkem racing car I am restoring was built with a Manx Norton engine and replaced with a half cut 1,000cc Vincent engine which I am looking to replicate.

I am looking for crankcases that are already cut, because I don't want to cut any because being a engine reconditioner, it goes against every thing I have done for my working life.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
"Half cut 1,000cc Vincent engine" might mean "chopped" as in the gearbox is sawn off and not a 1,000cc engine converted to 500cc.

The Manx engine would've had a transmission set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
In 1991 whilst travelling from Vancouver to the International rally in California, we were approached by a guy in Oregon who claimed to have a Vincent part and went to get it. When he returned we determined it was the replacement piece for the rear cylinder from a twin engine to make it into a single. he said it was for a race car.....

And no, sorry, we didn't keep any contact details!

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
In 1991 whilst travelling from Vancouver to the International rally in California, we were approached by a guy in Oregon who claimed to have a Vincent part and went to get it. When he returned we determined it was the replacement piece for the rear cylinder from a twin engine to make it into a single. he said it was for a race car.....

And no, sorry, we didn't keep any contact details!
The factory did make two 500cc engines based on 1000cc crankcases where the rear cylinder was blanked off and yes they were for car use. The idea was the engine could be easily swapped between 500cc & 1000cc for the different classes of race at a meeting as the mounting points and final drive would be the same.

Simon

davidd

VOC Member
That's a lovely car to own! Built by "Jock" Walkem.

Walkem Vincent Brickmakers Beach Rob Saward.jpg

David

Chris Launders

VOC Member
A close look at the picture shows it is a twin (you can see two pipes, the rear inlet spring cap and just make out the rear carb) with an unchopped gearbox as the chain is still on the right and what looks like a Vincent clutch, a Norton box would have the chain on the left.