Welcome to new Forum Website member, Scout63

C.Flint

Forum User
VOC Member
It is great to see that bike find a new home. Pete T and wife/racer Denise are the best (as you know). Watching them race their red sidecar rig has been a delight! Maybe you’ll be able to bring Rapide number 3 to the West Coast for the VOC rally next year…

G

Graham Smith

Fantastic looking bike @Scout63

As @Robert Watson says, having Pete Talabach close by means you have an expert right on hand, but we’re always here should you need us.

I can’t say I’ve ever come across an older post-war engine than your one, although I’m sure Simon will prove me wrong!

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The front mud guard looks awfully close to the exhaust. Maybe it is the angle of the picture?
Unfortunately I can’t use that plate here in Massachusetts. It belonged to a prior owner and I negotiated to keep it for show.
Welcome Ben. As hinted by the license plate, that bike has a history in the Los Angeles area, a former So Cal section member that has passed built the bike. Other members remember seeing the engine in someone else’s garage prior to that. I believe the original bike with engine #3 was originally sold by the LA Vincent dealer.
Thanks Steve. I’m slowly piecing together the bike’s history and it’s consistent with your note. I’ll be getting it roadworthy over the next month or so and then will get my first ride on a Vincent. Ben

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is a little info on the guy that built the engine into a complete bike.

Al was a club member of the original Los Angeles section back in the late 1950’s. That incarnation of the section only lasted a few years. The current So Cal section started around 1967. I don’t know when Al joined that section.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ben,
Aren't you able to get a vanity plate in Mass? I couldn't figure out how to negotiate the Mass. RMV website to see how to order a vanity plate. On the Mich. SOS website it's very easy to see if a vanity plate is available, 46HRD is available I believe for a reasonable $25 per year. Does Mass. allow original year plates for vehicles over 25 years old? My Shadow and Comet are on original year plates and it only cost me a one time fee of $35 each. The plates cost me $125 each from a collector. You can use an original year plated vehicle for pleasure, special occasions, club runs, parades, but not for daily routine travel, except for the month of August. Though I think LEOs just turn a blind eye when they see an original year plated vehicle out about as I see them all the time once the snow has melted and the salt has been washed off the road. Insurance is decidedly less expensive as well.
Steven

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is great to see that bike find a new home. Pete T and wife/racer Denise are the best (as you know). Watching them race their red sidecar rig has been a delight! Maybe you’ll be able to bring Rapide number 3 to the West Coast for the VOC rally next year…Peter showed me pictures of the
Ben,
Aren't you able to get a vanity plate in Mass? I couldn't figure out how to negotiate the Mass. RMV website to see how to order a vanity plate. On the Mich. SOS website it's very easy to see if a vanity plate is available, 46HRD is available I believe for a reasonable $25 per year. Does Mass. allow original year plates for vehicles over 25 years old? My Shadow and Comet are on original year plates and it only cost me a one time fee of $35 each. The plates cost me $125 each from a collector. You can use an original year plated vehicle for pleasure, special occasions, club runs, parades, but not for daily routine travel, except for the month of August. Though I think LEOs just turn a blind eye when they see an original year plated vehicle out about as I see them all the time once the snow has melted and the salt has been washed off the road. Insurance is decidedly less expensive as well.
Steven
Hey Steven. I’m not sure about MA vanity plates. I may check it out. I’m not a fan of annual plate charges so I’ve steered clear. The Vincent May be the bike that gets me to get one. I’ll report back. Ben