Welcome to new forum website member, Richard Beard

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Richard Beard - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Richard Beard

VOC Member
Only just found out about this aspect of the forum.
A bit of personal history:-
I am a Brit now living in US.
When at university in UK at the age of 18 I bought a Black Shadow for 50 pounds---there were just "old Bikes" then and nobody really wanted them.
Six months later as a penniless student and needing to eat I sold it for the same price.
Over the years I have had BSAs--A7s and A10s but moved onto Triumphs after developing the oil cooler for the Tridents in conjunction with the Triumph Development Shop.
I ran engineering companies in UK, Europe and then the US before retiring over ten years ago.
I have built up a small collection of BSAs and Triumphs ranging from the 1930s to the 1970s as well as owning a modern URAL sidecar outfit.
Owning another Vincent has always been a dream for me but the high prices were a deterrent.
In a small way I helped my friend Bob (Bobv07662) buy his Vincent earlier this year and that put an edge on my desire to become a Vincent owner again.
Then a couple of months ago I had a phone call from a friend of mine in south New Jersey asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a Vincent as he wanted to sell his.
Without really thinking I said "Yes--I know someone--me!".
After a few weeks of discussions and several visits I ended up by buying my friends 1947 Series B Rapide (see photo attached).
After very little fettling I rode it to a local Bikes and Breakfast meet on Sunday 1st November which happened to be my 75th birthday.
So--it took me 57 years to become a Vincent owner again--but I made it!

Attachments

• 1947 Rapide (JM).jpg
    1947 Rapide (JM).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 29

stu spalding

VOC Member
Triumphs after developing the oil cooler for the Tridents in conjunction with the Triumph Development Shop.
If I remember rightly it was the same component as a British Leyland oil cooler, that may mean a source of a cheaper spare if anybody is looking for one. Cheers, Stu.