Welcome to new forum website member, Phoenix 500

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Phoenix 500 - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Phoenix 500

New Forum User
VOC Member
Among motoring friends we had the quote: If you want to travel on two wheels, buy a Vincent; if you can't afford a Vincent, then buy a motorbike". I had old Ariels, couldn't afford a Vincent.
In 1986 I found an advert in Classic Motorcycle from Atlantic Motorcycles in Twyford, offering an "Egli Comet" for a price I could afford. After a short testride, the bike was sold by payment in two terms and taken over the Channel in spring 1987.
Home I found out the frame wasn't Egli's, the frame number being HM101, but what was it?
In his book " Vincent Motorcycles, the untold story since 1946" I discovered my bike on pages 276-278: The Phoenix 500 by Hillgate Motors.
They only built two machines of this type: a pre-production of the road bike and a racer (sold to William Glyn Johnson) before selling the business. Mine is the pre-production road bike.
Philippe mailed me a copy of the original roadtest in the July 1973 issue of Bike Magazine, in which is a photograph of the tester on the bike, showing the number plate BDB49L (BlastingDeciBels), that is still mounted on my bike.
After importing it in Holland, I had to get a Dutch registration, which was difficult on dB-production at this time. On a test-ride at home the exhaust broke out of the cilinder and some other minor adjustments had to be made, for which I didn't have the time. And so the beast rested many years untouched in my garage, until recently. I sold my last Ariel to make some space and decided to spent the upcoming next corona-lockdown to finally restore the Vincent. So here I am to find support.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 1.jpg
    thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 2.jpg
    thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 2.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 3.jpg
    thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 3.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 4.jpg
    thumbnail_Phoenix Bike mag 4.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Vincent-Egli-sold Atlantic 1987.jpg
    Vincent-Egli-sold Atlantic 1987.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 20

timetraveller

VOC Member
Many people on here happy to answer questions although you might not always get the same answer from different people. You also have some very competent Vincent owners in the Netherlands. Good luck with the project.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you intend to use it, the only alteration I would consider extra is as it looks to have a Norton front wheel is upgrading to the 2ls version.

Phoenix 500

New Forum User
VOC Member
Many people on here happy to answer questions although you might not always get the same answer from different people. You also have some very competent Vincent owners in the Netherlands. Good luck with the project.
Thank you, I had good contacts with Harry Vermeulen (racing an Egli-Vincent sidecar) until his death a few years ago. I will try to renew my contacts with the Dutch VOC-section as soon my membership is accepted.

timetraveller

VOC Member
2ls stands for twin leading shoe. In brakes like that there are two cams which push the brake shoes outwards, rather than one. This gives better braking when going forwards but worse braking if rolling backwards.

Phoenix 500

New Forum User
VOC Member
2ls stands for twin leading shoe. In brakes like that there are two cams which push the brake shoes outwards, rather than one. This gives better braking when going forwards but worse braking if rolling backwards.
Thank you, I knew the principle, but didn't know the name. But first concern is to make it roadworthy again, and then find out if I still have enough power to handle it, tiny tim as I am at 76 y.o.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Very interesting and unique bike, congratulations, hope it is back on the road soon.