Recommissioning a '48 Rapide

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Paul, A lot of us played Racers in the old days, We had 2 Race days a year at Cadwell park ,
And a Twisty Sprint at Curborough, Super Times.
Plus we were invited to other clubs to race.
As "Mercurycrest " said, Yours should be a good ride.
A Standard "B" should have a front and a rear cylinder head, The inlet on the front head comes out on the left,
The inlet on the rear comes out on the other side, You have 2 front heads !!!.
On a Comet they have a front head.
The Racing Lightning mostly used 2 front heads, For better gas flow,
The last Vin's The "D" Used 2 front heads and monobloc Carb's.
On your carb's you have extended float bowls, Fast men liked those.
The last owner also drilled holes in the footrest plate and maybe in other places to go faster ??.
I enjoy "Trying" to help other owners, So no problem with anything we can do, As Marcus said , We have a lot of info' After owning our bikes for 50 plus years, And in my case breaking most things on a Vin' !!.
I raced a road Twin for 10 years and a Lightning rep' for 7, Plus my poor old Comet got thrashed as well !.
Good Luck Tomorrow, Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Paul, When we talk about left and right, It's sitting on the Bike, You have 2 on the left,
I was going to let it go, but Ian's taking the piss !.
The photo is of your membership sec', Brother Ron with a Comet and Me on a Friends Twin "C", After a short test run, Showing how a "B" Carb's should be.

Attachments

• IMG_0465 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0465 - Copy.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 30

b'knighted

VOC Member
Moi? Has Ron been talking about me?
I know that you run a rear head on a Comet but I've never known any one try it on a twin.
I bet that someone somewhere has assembled a twin with a rear head on the front and only realised when fitting carbs or exhausts. I don’t expect anyone to admit it.

Last edited:

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Three weeks in and still learning my right from my left. It appears I have a lot to learn but getting there with much help from Bill. The modifications threw me a bit but then I've only lusted after one from afar until now. Battery installed, oil changed, new re-configured fuel lines, new main jets, lifter sorted and have had her running. Nearly there for a cruise around the Cotswolds!

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Both carbs are on the right side of the bike.

Instead of "right" and "left" how about "near side" and "off side" for left and right respectively? That way, it's harder to get confused. :)

Honestly, I never understood why people say "the right side when you are sitting on the bike". Bikes have sides, just like people. My right side doesn't need someone to sit on me to know which one it is. Or does it? Now I'm getting confused.:p

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Paul, We have been messing with these things for many years, Seems no two the same !.
My Comet has a rear Head on it !!, All I had at the time, :D , And with a bit of bodging with an inlet manifold,
Had to try and get the carb' to come out on the left.
I think it's a lot more easy to modify these old bikes, But they now tell me they won't be worth a lot,
But I do it because I want to :D, The Wife can worry about the money when I am gone .

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_083253.jpg
    IMG_20190804_083253.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 26

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Three weeks in and still learning my right from my left. It appears I have a lot to learn but getting there with much help from Bill. The modifications threw me a bit but then I've only lusted after one from afar until now. Battery installed, oil changed, new re-configured fuel lines, new main jets, lifter sorted and have had her running. Nearly there for a cruise around the Cotswolds!
Don't worry Paul, You are not as bad as Me !!.
I have just built a "D" Comet and forgot to put a Flywheel and Piston in it,
It will never run :D , But I like the look of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_081948 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200804_081948 (2).jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 22

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Near side and off side come from the equestrian world. The near side is the side you mount from. It's just a tradition that becomes a habit, both for the rider and the horse. Same as a bike, actually.

I like the terms but then I ride horses as well as bikes.