Recommissioning a '48 Rapide

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@PaulC - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have recently taken ownership of a 1948 Vincent HRD Rapide that was laid up in a private collection and am in the process of sourcing a suitable battery in order to hopefully find out that it is a working example without any major engine problems. I have admired the marque for many years and finally realised my dream of owning one. Having now joined the VOC and forum website I am reassured that there is so much information available to help steer me in the right direction.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
There certainly is Paul my handsome,
Us old farts are only too willing to part with our knowledge as we certainly can't take it with us. Welcome and make the most of it, I've had nearly 60 years with mine and still love riding it but has to be modified to do so, with easy to operate stands and electric starters.
bananaman.

b'knighted

VOC Member
If your '48 Rapide has not been very modified it should be fitted with a magneto which does not need a battery to run.
There has been a lot written on the forum about recommissioning bikes that have been standing. There is a search function, top right, just under the Black Shadow tank. A quick search for recommissioning in titles found a thread with 19 replies. It was from a new owner with a Comet that hadn’t run for years. I haven’t read the thread recently but most of the information for a Comet should apply for your Rapide.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for your replies guys. I did read the recommissioning thread, freaked out and then asked a few local bike shops but they didn't want to know. I guess there is a first time for everything and no better way to get to know the beast. It has a coil fitted so assume modified from the original magneto. I'm hoping its true that love conquers all and where there's a will there's a way.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Paul, The last Vincents, 1954/5 The "D", Had a car type Distributor A good Mod' for older Vin's.
Just see if it's 12v or standard was 6v look at the coil ?,
There are other types with a coil, Maybe take the Magneto cowl off and send us a photo ?.
Cheers Bill.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Bill. The coil has a stamping on the back 17M6 45222A and 48 69. There is a Lucas box attached under the seat with G371444A MCR2 and L3 6v stampings and blue wires from it. The distributor looks like a car one, brown etc. I'm not sure what the Magneto looks like but thought I had read that they were removed with a conversion? Any advice gratefully received as you can tell I'm at starting point A.
The metal battery box looks somewhat smaller than batteries I've looked at on line.
Cheers
Paul

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can we have some photos Paul, I am thinking you have Lucas RITA electronic, They can be tricky !!.
I think they fitted them to Nortons ?.
Don't kick the engine over without the H.T. leads on, Or it will BLOW the magic Box.
I have that set up on my Twin, Mine works on 12v battery but uses 2 6v Coils !!.
I did break down once, Faulty coil, And all I had with me was a 12v coil, It got me home !!.
The distributor is an alloy casting with a polished alloy cover ?.
Have you got the old battery so that you can see if it's 12 or 6v ?.
Maybe take the head light bulb out and see if 12 or 6v ?.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not only it “isn’t all the gospel” in the sense that there is other gospel not included in that site, but also in the sense that some of the information on that site is not accurate.