Welcome to new forum website member, Kid Eager

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well Done Kid,
46 is a bit high with a sidecar, Unless you live where there is no traffic ?.
You will need a length of chain and another chain link ?, With a bigger sprocket,
Don't forget to change the forks for sidecar trail !,
You will soon get used to the gearchange,
I try and get my toe on the footrest of the rear brake and not use it for a while,
I rode a BMW K100 and a Twin, And a Comet with the gear lever the wrong way round !!!,
So twin , One up and 3 down, Comet one down and 3 up !,
The engine noise seems to tell me what to do now ?. Although the BM has gone now, Sadly !.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Kid, the early Black Shadows had a high first gear. It sounds like you have one of those. As for rear sprockets to reduce the gearing; there are, or should be, a wide range available, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 and so on up to 60. It depends upon how well you are able to control your twist grip hand as to what will be best. Your weight, the weight of the sidecar and any passenger to be carried in it all come into it. You don't want to rev or slog the engine. It might help to know that the engine revs at 100 mph are the same as the number of teeth on the rear sprocket times 100, i.e. 5,000 rpm with 50 tooth rear sprocket. I think that a 56 or 58 would give you the speed you might want with useful acceleration. Just don't rev it to bits without more experience of the engine.
The rev counter being jerky could be the drive cable need greasing, an easy do it yourself job, or it needs a sevice of the internal workings of the head, not for the faint hearted.
Just watch out for those old tyres. The can just split with no warning and if it is the front one you will loose control.

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
20 inch tires

As one who regularly switches between shifting on the left to shifting on the right and back again, switching back forth becomes second nature. I don't even think about it. What I have trouble with is when I change from my manual shift car to the wife's automatic. I almost always put my foot down on a non-existent clutch pedal.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We were always told to put your left foot under the seat,
Out of harms way !,
But in the work shops , Moving in tight places, I would have one foot on each pedal !,
Could go wrong :) , But I was lucky, Back then.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Thanks for your prompt helpful replies, guys.
We put oil in the plug hole with the intention of leaving it for a couple of days, but the next day the boss said he was too impatient to see if it turns over. Eased it over turning the back wheel, then the boss said it’s kickstart time.
Engine oil is low in tank, so will drain crankcase and flush with diesel. Have not got a spanner for the oil filter yet but inspection ports all loose. Need an oil filter too but will carry on with flush regardless until we get that.
I need to replace fuel hoses, will add in-line filters as tap filters disintegrated. Looks like 3 in-line filters owing to the plumbing? I have a vintage brass ear syringe for quill squirting.
Fuel tank now clean, taps work and no fuel leak thus far. I bet the carbies leak though!
Tomorrow I’ll take my reading glasses, magnifying glass, emery paper and metho. Points don’t look corroded but it’s dark and awkward down there.
Thanks again, I’ll ask the boss if I can take photos for you.
Oh, I’m at a remote outpost of the Empire a few thousand km from Adelaide. For all we know there isn’t another Vincent anywhere remotely close.
Hi Kid
I would suggest you mail Simon at registrar998@voc.uk.com and Ron Thomas membership998@voc.uk.com and ask to be put in touch with your nearest VOC member.
Chris

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Well I haven’t found anything half as cool as two big clocks on a Vincent; I’m yet to ride her, but guess they’ll act as a bikini fairing!
Damage to my knee is the biggest setback to getting her on the road so far. My knee was recovering from a serious incident when I first started the Vincent. That activity was too much and caused a setback in recovery and stern words from my wife but within days it buckled backwards again (like the original injury) under the force of a falling gent’s head at the market. Crazy bad luck. Sleeping and walking are getting less painful again and it may already be possible to start the Vincent, at cost of further recovery setback, associated pain and compromised sleep. Can you understand the temptation? My wife said she’ll divorce me if I wilfully damage it again and has offered to learn to start the Vincent. She’s a lean (50kg plus) fit running enthusiast. The Vincent has really good compression and while having easy cranking with spark plugs out is still fairly stiff with decompressor engaged. A fair match for my wife? I’m seeking a roller starter but might have to build one.
The local Vincent community is small. The motorbike tyre shop owner gasped when I said what my proffered wheel was off- “is that the Vincent everyone is trying to buy?”. Someone asked him to inspect it with a view to purchase, he refused and it’s not for sale anyway! He said there is another Vincent in town, he’s had two through his workshop over the years. He admonished me for preparing it for the road, saying it should be in an air conditioned glass case in a museum. Another mechanic and enthusiast explained to me that this was jealousy, and that he too is jealous with a lifelong dream of owning one. And sounded me out on the likelihood of this coming on market.
It is a pitty I didn’t get to talk with David Bowen before he passed away. He was in contact with the owner over the years, repeatedly trying to buy this machine back again. The owner is frustrated that time has erased his memory of details given by David about this bike. He’s amazed at the interest this community has in his bike and the helpful advice offered.

David probably fitted the concentric carbs as the owner recalls nothing about the change. He probably bought the bike from David before 1966, when decimal currency was introduced. He spent a weekend at Don Tilbrook’s place getting the Tilbrook sidecar fitted. He transported the Vincent by truck to and from Adelaide for that. It got prizes at bike shows with sidecar attached. He recalls getting the centre stand fitted, presumably after the chair was removed. I’m yet to attach the sidecar. I’m guessing the centre stand, which has a long handle, has to come off to fit the chair. However, the chair has had one upper strut replaced with a curvaceous one. Maybe that’s for the centre stand handle? We’ll know more when we put them together, but there’s another problem-.
The bike resided in the living room for 30 odd years, with the chair outside. It might be possible to wriggle the chair inside, but not to ride out! How long does it take to fit and remove this chair? The bike belongs inside. My friend wants me to ride it for his pleasure, as long as it comes back at night. There is no secure parking with chair attached. He is a gun collector who promises a “warm” welcome to intruders inside his house.

The most recent cause of my becoming dismounted was fitting road tyres to my dirt bike then (of course) seeing what dirt it could handle. A thin clay slick took the front out from under me before I realised what happened. That historic Vincent hard front tyre might be similar on bitumen. To ride it solo, I’d want fresh rubber. The current front tyre still has the moulding feathers on centre tread, holds air and has scrubbed up well with no cracks. (the bike tyre shop owner, who thinks it should be in a museum, didn’t want to disturb the historic tyre.) The sidecar tyre still has the ink markings on it’s tread. I’m thinking for initial running just use the old tyres at low speed with sidecar stability, then source a front tyre next year. Can you get 20 inch tubes, or do you put 21inch tubes in?

The nearest city is thousands of km away from here, so the internet contains the pool of local knowledge. Thanks!
Hello Mate. 20 inch Avon speedmaster tyres usually available from Pablos motorcycle tyres in Melbourne he has page on internet. For sprockets and other parts try Neal Videan 0419316459 very helpful and quick post