Welcome to new forum website member, Bryan Lingard

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Bryan there is a search thingy, Top right hand corner of the screen,
If you type "multi plate clutch", you may find some info,
I have been told all you have to do with some of the multi type is clean them off
and wipe the plates with thin oil, Just wipe them again and it lasts a season ?.
Not done it myself !, Some people try and run them in oil and they slip !.
Good luck, Bill.

A lot of us have found the standard clutch is very good !!, And light to use,
If you know how to set it up and can keep the oil OUT !!.
Hi Bill. Thanks for your advice. I am going to try and run the clutch wet. I have drilled the cover to add oil and a drain plug at the bottom. I hope I can find the correct fluid. At the moment I am going try a 20 / 40 designed for wet clutches. I use it in my Bennelli Tornado. If that doesn't work I can
IMG_20210508_155212_1.jpg
IMG_20210508_155343_0.jpg
easily change to ATF. Until I get it sorted I can't safely ride the bike. If that doesn't work I need to change the plates but so far I don't know what they are from.
Regards Bryan

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would use the smallest amount of oil !, I think it only wants a Mist ?.
Or you will have to use very strong springs ?.
ATF I would think.
I used a home made Norton Clutch, Ron made it !,
When I raced a Special Twin and a L/ning rep'.

Why not ask on this Forum, Under Post War section, With these photos,
Some people don't read the new members bit,
I think Kawasaki plates are used on some, Or Ducati ??.
These are proper made multi clutches , They were called V1 and V2 some of them and
the Vincent Spares Company sell one type ??.
Mine was a long time ago and just a lash up, I hand cut a load of Commando sintered plates,
And ran dry.
Good Luck. Bill.

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bryan, I haven't forgotten about the DVD showing Barry and Sheila on his bike at a West London day meet. I just need to get round to copying it for you. Best wishes, Ron
Hi Ron.
Thank you very much for the DVD. I've been all day trying to get an app to work. Tried my desktop and two laptops, all a bit old. My modern laptop and tablet don't have a DVD drive. Anyway as a controls engineer I don't give up not going to let a computer beat me. Anyway tonight I finally got an app to work and play the DVD. It took a long time but I finally got a good picture of Barry leaving on the Rapide. Now I know where he is I can capture some still pictures. The Vin clutch is still giving me problems. I soaked the friction plates in thin oil but now it slips on the starter. So going to strip it again, clean the plates and treat them with ATF. I might get some stronger springs but going to try a thin spacer in the bottom of the spring holder. I will win so it might as well give in now.
Regards Bryan Lingard

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know the DVD is too big to put on here,
But some forum Members put it on Youtube and then everybody can see it ,
And I have downloaded youtube to the Forum, Must be easy if I can do it !!,
Then you could download it to your Computer ?.
Unless you want to keep it Private ?.
I am sure Ron's Son Chris could do it if you wanted.
Cheers Bill.

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bill.
I am happy with DVD now I have got it working, no need for YouTube. I can take the files off the DVD and store them on my hard drive for safe keeping. I must say the bike looks well and well ridden by Barry. I wish I had met him. Thank you very much Regards Bryan

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Hi Ron.
Thank you very much for the DVD. I've been all day trying to get an app to work. Tried my desktop and two laptops, all a bit old. My modern laptop and tablet don't have a DVD drive. Anyway as a controls engineer I don't give up not going to let a computer beat me. Anyway tonight I finally got an app to work and play the DVD. It took a long time but I finally got a good picture of Barry leaving on the Rapide. Now I know where he is I can capture some still pictures. The Vin clutch is still giving me problems. I soaked the friction plates in thin oil but now it slips on the starter. So going to strip it again, clean the plates and treat them with ATF. I might get some stronger springs but going to try a thin spacer in the bottom of the spring holder. I will win so it might as well give in now.
Regards Bryan Lingard
Hello Bryan, sorry again for this late reply to your message ! If you want anymore information on some of the riders in the film just let me know. Referring to the shot of Barry and Sheila in the 2003 section, the tall gentleman in sunglasses offering a hand to Sheila to dismount is the one and only Bill Thomas.
So many of the riders featured are no longer with us including the rider at the end of the 2006 section leaving on the enclosed 'D' who is Dave Hills. There are many lovely tributes to Dave elsewhere on this forum. Enjoy Barry's bike as much as he did, best wishes, Ron.