Welcome to new forum website member, Bryan Lingard

Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club

Well Known and Active Forum User
Staff member
Non-VOC Member
@Bryan Lingard - welcome to the online forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

We love to know a bit more about our new members, so please take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself to the other members.

Do you have a bike?
Are you looking for a bike?
What's your interest in the marque?

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your welcome
I recently bought a Rapide from the club scheme. Reg number YVS 847. It had come from the estate of the late Barry Howard. I was going to ask if anyone had information or pictures of this bike with Barry. Unfortunatly there was no history with the bike so it has been a voyage of discovery. It is much modified with an electric starter, Alton alternator and multiplate clutch. I now need to put some oil in the clutch as its unusable being on or off.
I used to own a Rapide when I was 18. When I got married I had to sell it to buy a pram and a BSA C15 for work. We called our son Mark Vincent, unfortunatly we lost him at Olivers Mount racing. Being on my own for some time and with a collection of 21 bikes I decided to have another Vincent. More luck with this one I hope. I have just retired a gas turbine commissioning engineer a job I loved. Being a qualified electronics engineer I have fitted a Gamatronics points asistor to the points. This makes the Capacitor redundent and the points last indefinatly as they are only swtching 20ma. I can recommend the mod. The starting is much better and the tickover right from cold is very reliable.
Anyway thats me, any history on my bike and the previous late owner wouls be appreciated. Cant buy anymore bikes, no room. The Vin makes 22 and most are on the road.
Best regards Bryan Lingard

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Welcome to the forum Brian. There are a few different multi-plate clutches that have been fitted to Vincent twins. Some bikes were converted to take a Norton clutch, and the VOC Spares Co do a multi-plate clutch and there is I think a V3 multi-plate clutch also.
when I first built my Rapide the pile of bits came with a new multi-plate clutch so that is what I used. It ran dry and worked fine when clean. After some use it got quite erratic when engaging. Removing the plates and cleaning sorted this for a while until it started to grab again. I eventually fitted the original Vincent clutch, quite complicated but light to operate and very good when set up correctly.
Some people have sealed the clutch cover and run multi-plate clutches with oil and it may be worth trying different types of friction plates. Others who have done this should be able to advise you about this.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bryan, Barry was a much liked member of the West London Section,
His Bike was always in Top condition, Very Nice,
I think you have a good one, Good Luck, Bill.
It was a long time ago, But I think this is Barry on the left with Paul Adams and Peter Holmes.

Attachments

• IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Bryan my handsome, your electronic ignition system certainly appeals to me, being a Scintilla mag man and spending the last ten years looking for parts, in the mean time using a trigger unit developed by Francois Grosset which is very economical on electrical power but I don't understand it although I carry a spare trigger unit, I have noticed since fitting Francois starters it doesn't start until I take my finger off the button as volts drop to 10 to 11 volts or when spark plugs build up a resistance as always buy non resistors. I am an engineer myself and have a well equipped workshop with lathes & milling machines. Drawings & photos would be very much appreciated.<. overseasrep998@voc.uk.com. >
bananaman.

Bryan Lingard

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Eddy, Bill and Marcus.
Thanks for replying to my post. I wasnt sure anyone would read it. Thanks for the advice and the picture.
Marcus if you want more information on the Gamatronics points asistor, they have a very. good Web site with all the information. Its very easy to fit, the electronics are doing all the work and the existing points are only switching the electronic. Only 20ma swiching current so the Capacitor should be removed. I have just disconnected the wire and insulated it. Its very easy to fit and British made. I have a 1929 Hatley Davidson with one fitted. It kickstarts first time every time.
Thanks again for the information. I am going to try the clutch wet using the same thin oil I used on a Benelli Tornado which also has a wet clutch. Very thin oil with no friction modifiers.
Best regards Bryan Lingard

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Does your bike have a magneto or points and coil? The Gammatronics info is for points and coil.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bryan, Try and send a P.M. to RonandLinda Ron is my Brother and they run the West London Section,
He knew Barry well and may have some photos,
Click on the letter shape thing, Top right hand corner.
Cheers Bill.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Hello Bryan, I haven't forgotten about the DVD showing Barry and Sheila on his bike at a West London day meet. I just need to get round to copying it for you. Best wishes, Ron