Weight on each wheel of Vincent TWIN

pifinch

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm not sure if I am just misreading but does Idealist just want an indication of HOW HEAVY those big lumps of lead were that slotted around the spokes? - (If so Idealist, it has to be trial & error, balance factor is different for every tyre & rim.)
I assume you just wish to balance your wheels, ask about wheel balance & I am sure you will get the answer you want.
Steve.

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Vincent roadholding

Roadholding is the ability of the bicycle to keep its wheels on the tarmac (the coefficient of friction between rubber and air is quite low). It isn't steering. Bicycles won't steer if their wheels are in the air, whence perhaps Norton calling their forks Roadholders, not Navigators.
If you want to know how good C Vincent roadholding is compared to with what went before (agreeing with Roy), try riding a 1938 Rudge Ulster up and down my favourite local piece of road, then the Vincent. The Rudge forks are good - the best steel girder fork ever made, with one-piece forged steel links - but the ride is appalling over short-pitch bumps. I always take my watch off. On smooth roads the Rudge is superb, and since roadholding isn't an issue, its fine steering comes through. I reckon on a smooth road it steers better than the Vincent.
By comparison, the Vincent doesn't swallow all bumps the way, say, a 1993 Showa-forked Ducati does, but it is perfectly possible to cruise the Vin comfortably at 80 mph to 'Kinwashboard and back, and with a watch on. At 80 mph on the Rudge it is difficult to keep a grip of the bars.

Whilst i understand the principle of using new software[toys], the guys at stevenage were not fools. The suspension on my c rapide,to my experience,is just about right. It soaks up most undulations better than most. More important when it becomes airborne, hump-back bridges etc, it always lands rear first, which is just as it should be. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" roy.

Idealist

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm not sure if I am just misreading but does Idealist just want an indication of HOW HEAVY those big lumps of lead were that slotted around the spokes? - (If so Idealist, it has to be trial & error, balance factor is different for every tyre & rim.)
I assume you just wish to balance your wheels, ask about wheel balance & I am sure you will get the answer you want.
Steve.

I confirm that you are indeed "just misreading".
We can easily get an idea of the total weight of a Vincent Twin without rider etc from Paul Richardson. I am looking for the weight exerted on the front wheel and on the rear wheel for a loaded road going TWIN with rider, and also for bike and rider with passenger and luggage.
The sum of these two weights would equal the all-up weight.
Nothing to do with balance weights, honest!

Alan J

VOC Member
Weight

Pete-it's not so easy with a "pram" on the side!!{see you at the "winter Welsh?} When I think of all the extra junk I have added to my "outfit", I dare not weigh it!!:confused::confused::confused::confused: