Weight on each wheel of Vincent TWIN

Idealist

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
To take advantage of recent changes and improvements in the latest version of software, some more data is required, to help with analysis of Vincent suspension systems.

This includes the weight on each wheel for a loaded Vincent TWIN [ solo, not sidecar outfit ], with bike at rest on a flat level surface , and the bike in normal road going condition.

I am sure that several owners have in the past already taken their bikes to weigh-bridges to weigh them.

Maybe the results have already been published somewhere - if so, please let me know where.

What is needed is the weight on the front wheel and also the weight on the rear wheel, bike stationary, NOT on the stand, but the rider seated normally, just using his/her feet to keep the bike upright.

Please state if petrol/gas tank full, if rider only or if it includes pillion passenger and / or luggage.

The more loading conditions we have weights for, the better.
It would be nice to have rider only and also rider/passenger/luggage as well.

And please state the bike type Series A, B, C, D. [ Only 'standard' Vincent suspension bikes please - no NorVins, Eglis etc ].

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The weight on each wheel should be checked by the Tester as part of the brake test during an MOT so make a note then.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Weight distribution

My tester doesn't measure anything, he just sticks it on the rollers. However, recently a piece of advanced techology called "the bathroom scales" has come on the market, and if you're lucky enough to be able to purchase one...
And if you add the two readings, you have the weight of the bicycle. It might be a good idea to put a bit of wood across it, and it is important to get the wheel over the centre of the weighing platform. Even if there IS an error, it'll be the same for front weight and rear weight.

The weight on each wheel should be checked by the Tester as part of the brake test during an MOT so make a note then.

Idealist

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the ideas so far, rather on the lines of "how do you weigh an elephant?".

http://www.storiestogrowby.com/newsletter/news_aug_03.html

But I am not at present able to do the obvious thing - go and weigh a Vincent myself, for reasons which I don't need to go into.
Rather I am looking for a quick set of results from what someone else has already done.
Surely someone must have done this in the past and written about it?

[No bathroom scales I have seen in Europe could cope with the rear wheel weight of a Twin loaded with rider, passenger and luggage. Might be different in other continents.]

My tester doesn't measure anything, he just sticks it on the rollers. However, recently a piece of advanced techology called "the bathroom scales" has come on the market, and if you're lucky enough to be able to purchase one...
And if you add the two readings, you have the weight of the bicycle. It might be a good idea to put a bit of wood across it, and it is important to get the wheel over the centre of the weighing platform. Even if there IS an error, it'll be the same for front weight and rear weight.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
brake weights

My tester doesn't measure anything, he just sticks it on the rollers. ....

The rollers have a load cell to measure the weight of the bike and rider at each wheel so that the braking efficiency can be calculated. It will give the measured weight and the efficiency in percent for each wheel at the end of the test.

I am sure that large bathroom scales are supplied to the US market....

Pete

Idealist

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all the mildly amusing replies, but I am still waiting for the weights which several people claim it is so easy to get. See the title of the thread.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
wetght on wheels of vin.

Whilst i understand the principle of using new software[toys], the guys at stevenage were not fools. The suspension on my c rapide,to my experience,is just about right. It soaks up most undulations better than most. More important when it becomes airborne, hump-back bridges etc, it always lands rear first, which is just as it should be. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" roy.